Poor bass with flat screen TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys , I am getting a bit mifted about the very poor quality of the sound with All flat screen TVs, so as a project I want to extend the bass down from the 250 HZ at present to some like 60 HZ.
For my prototype I am going to build the new woofer into/as part of a kitchen unit plinth. The only point I am stuffed on is its grill. what I want is a front fitting guard/grill about 150mm high and 180 mm, ideally with an appearance of a lot of vertical bars. It should be flattish and rugged so a sweeping broom will not destroy it. Any suggestions?
Frank

Sponsored Links
If you build it into anything other than a housing designed for a woofer, you may be creating a large rattle. Woofer housings are generally heavy with lots of heavy damping material. Some even contain concrete. If the dimensions and damping are incorrect, you'll get a "honking" sound at one or more frequencies.

The grill needs to be secured in such a way that it can't vibrate against anything. 60 Hz is rather high for a true woofer. The grill dimensions that you propose seem awfully small for a woofer.

I appreciate the rattle factor, but with one side of the cabinet tight on the tiled(concrete) floor and the other supporting the underneath of a run of kitchen base units, there is a lot of weight on it to stop rattling.
You are right about the base response, but it will be two octaves lower then the TVs sound.
Most bass boxes do honk, that why I am thinking of some thing like this:- http://home.earthlink.net/~jeremyepstein/tqwp.html
Frank

Sponsored Links
How do you plan to get a signal from the TV to the sub?

I was rather hoping to sniff the sound out of the scart , add the channels then filter it then put into a single amplifier. Mono bass at 100 HZ is better then no stereo bass at 200 HZ!
Frank

Okay, so you only want the sound for the Freeview tuner then, not any external inputs?

Oh, and not trying to be a grammar nazi, but "then" usually relates to time. "Than", is the word to use when comparing two things.

Mono bass at 100 HZ is better than no stereo bass at 200 HZ!
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back