Poor flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I living in a new house (built 2004) that seems to be going through some problems. Now I've found another one! It's three stories and has an unvented CH system. The hot water tank seems to be pressurised by the cold mains.

Anyway, the problem is that on the middle floor the cold tap (mains) in the bath is spluttering a lot. When it's turned on there's so much air it takes ages for it to calm down. Also it's spluttering out blue/green debris into the bath!

Does this mean I have debris in the pipework that's causing all this air to come out? It seems less of a problem in the basin and toilet on that bathroom, but water flow is fine on the top floor, and on the ground floor.

I was just wondering how can this be fixed? Is there an easy way or is it going to be a difficult task?

Thanks,

Simon.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing, but it sounds like you have corrosion in a leg leading to the bath. The corrosion is coming from excessive flux, hence the blue/green bits. Write to the builders to record the situation. If it is excessive flux, the pipes will need flushing after a suitable cleaner has been used, and you would not want to pay for it. It needs fixing, or you will have a leaky pipe before long.

Could it not "just" be the coil in the HW cylinder perforated?

ChrisR said:
Could it not "just" be the coil in the HW cylinder perforated?

I hope not, I thought the "tank pressurised by the mains" was an unvented cylinder. preforations here would be a bit of a production cock-up. (Same if it was vented if it's a 2004 build.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. I think I didn't explain myself very well. The hot water tap in the bath is fine, but it's the cold water that is spluttering.

The cold water is mains, but since I don't know much about the unvented system I don't know if it passes through a cylinder that does something by the water tank.

Anyway, it's definitely the cold tap, and as I said it's only in this bathroom, it's fine everywhere else!

I just tested it again...The spluttering is really quite violent! Is there anything I can do or will it definitely need flushing?

Simon.

Turned out tarmac(!) and gravel had got into the filter in the mains water cylinder that pressurizes the hot water tank, but also feeds the cold water to all bathrooms. Once that was cleared the pressure increased and debris was flushed through the taps.

Simon.

corblimeyguv
Any idea how that happened?
Thanks for telling us anyway!

We're living on a new estate and the builders just put the tarmac on the driveways and paths. And my neighbour told me yesterday that his shower was not the same as it was last week...!

Simon.

Hope you have a water filter, I wouldn't fancy drinking your water, god knows whats in it if just tarmacing a drive causes problems.
Mind you if your new house is built on nice green fields it will serve you right, fed up with seeing monstrocities called houses built on what was countryside and farmland.

.......fed up with seeing monstrocities called houses built on what was countryside and farmland.

ALL houses are built on what was countryside or farmland :D

Now get back here and lets have a better rant than that!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back