1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

poor paying customers

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by dtsfa, 26 Jul 2020.

1. dtsfa

dtsfa

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I have a new facebook customer ( I mean she contacted me through a local facebook group) for some handyman works

I did a job for her, only £25, quite a low cost price job

I had to text her days later to pay me by paypal, said she forgot

usually my customers pay me on completion of works, she took me by surprise by saying she would wire the money across

the rub is, there are a few more small jobs to do there at her place, but she is very poor at communicating, and seems poor at paying

I just feel this aint worth the hassle for a few more quid. Plus I would not depend on her as a reliable source for spreading the word to new customers, she seems very disorganized

would you not bother with these sort of customers (poor payers + poor communications ) ?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. EddieM

EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    probably not, but get payment on completion of the job if you do more work for her.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What did you do for £25?

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lol. Have to laugh at OP's question considering his forum name. Looks like he already has! :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  6. FiremanT

FiremanT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    HaHa. I had to Google it.

£25? must be a mate o_O

7. Sponsored Links
  8. jono_h

jono_h

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’ll happily take payment on completion if offered, but otherwise will raise an invoice and ask for payment in 7 days. That gives the Customer a chance to make sure they’re happy with what I’ve done, and so once I’ve been paid I can forget about it.

Late payers are a pet hate. I might give a new customer the benefit of the doubt the first time, particularly if it looked like the £25 job was going to lead to something bigger, but otherwise they go on a block list.
    I’ve had some Customers who are lovely people, but having to fight for payment every time means they get blocked.

It’s business, and having to spend time chasing up your £25 means you’ve earnt next to nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A writer of software got so fed up with bad payers that he put a time out function into some projects. After so many days of no payment a message would pop up warning that the software would, due to overlooked payment, cease to function in a few days time. This counted down day by day. On receiving payment he provided a release code to remove the time-out function.

As I recall only one project did actually time out before the payment was made.

Not really an option with domestic electrical work. or is it ?

Last edited: 31 Jul 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wgt52

wgt52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    £25 - 1 hours work? If they aren't paying that amount immediately on completion then raising an invoice or being paid later raises the price in my book.

Hopefully you weren't offered payment in 'kind' (as happened to my father, he didn't didn't take up the offer but never did get paid!)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ktuludays

ktuludays

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I do the same, block them or don't rush back

12. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A new customer once asked to put blinds up.
    Being 5 minutes away I agreed a £20 end of day job, just to pay for beer for me and my then labourer.
    Went in, did the job, then she said she would've paid me next time she needed something done the following week, but didn't know what.
    I took her oak coffee table, loaded into the van with her threatening to call the police and went to the pub.
    I didn't answer her calls.
    A couple of days later a very apologetic gentleman called to say that he was the unfortunate husband of that lady (his words).
    He wanted to pay and get his table back which cost a lot more than £20.
    Being a professional pee taker at the time I told him I'd sold the table to our local pub for the £20 his wife owed me.
    He went down the pub and asked for it :LOL:
    The landlady called me to tell me off :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    A few days later, after a bank holiday weekend, I got a copper at my door at 7pm.
    He had £40 in his hand and said the lady wanted her table back.
    I took the £40 (I guess the extra score was for my trouble) and gave the table to the copper who struggled with it to the corner where the husband was waiting.
    I waved at him and I'm sure he said "sorry".
    Never attended a small job again, never.

• Like Like x 2
Sponsored Links