Poor plastering job? If so, how would I resolve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

We are currently in the process of having a loft extension. First the good news - the plastering in the actual loft space and new stairway seems to have been done quite well - I have no complaints, and am genuinely quite looking forward to giving it a mist coat and decorating.

The issue that we might have is the plastering that has been done on the underside of the new staircase, and where part of the old chimneybreast has been removed on the existing staircase.

I have attached some pictures that hopefully demonstrate this a little better than I am able to explain, but in summary:

Underside of staircase.
Plumbing and electrics were tacked to the underside. The entire thing was then covered with a wire mesh. The "messy" bit seems to be around the newel post of the stairs - it's uneven, and I'm right now struggling to see how I will neatly tie this in between the plaster wall emulsion and the eggshell finish on the wood. Fortunately both will be white, but surely this can't be right? When I queried with the plasterer why the line wasn't straight, he said that he had to work around how the wire mesh had been applied, but if this is correct, it seems as though the mesh should have tidied up first? I'm keen to resolve whilst builders and plasterers are on site, but I genuinely just don't know what the usual approach here would be.

Plaster over newel post IMG-3080.JPG Plaster over newel post IMG-3081.JPG Plaster over newel post IMG-3082.JPG

Removal of chimney breast and making good
For the most part, he seems to have done a good job feathering into the existing wall. However, near the bottom of the wall, there's a large bulge in the newly applied plaster, meaning that there's no room to put in any skirting.

Removed chimney breast - IMG-3076.JPG Plaster level - IMG-3079.JPG Plaster bulge - IMG-3077.JPG

Many thanks in advance all!!!
Ray

Sponsored Links
While It doesn’t look like a complete disaster and his work generally (as far as I can make out from the pics) seems to look like he’s made the effort, you’re within your rights to ask for both of those issues to be resolved. The EML (mesh) on stairs is never an easy job but you shouldn’t be seeing actual ridges on it and it’ll show worse when painted.

Firstly thank you for the quick reply 23vc! Whilst I would agree that overall, he's actually done a pretty decent job, it's those two points which are sticking out to me like sore thumbs right now. I think if I can try and tidy up the plaster/wood transition on the newel post, I'd be happy - the problem is that I'm just not sure how would be best to actually achieve it right now!

With respect to the "bulge" in the plaster where the chimney breast was - is it common to sand down plaster to remediate? Again, just unsure what the fix should actually be here that we ask for!

Many thanks,
Ray

Sponsored Links
You can sand imperfections/small bumps/snots out, but if there’s a large area you’re better off filling the dip to straighten it out or hacking off the proud bit and making good. If it’ll be behind skirting then making good’s less of an issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back