1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor radio signal

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by seasickstevie, 4 May 2021.

1. seasickstevie

seasickstevie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Van radio used to work fine. Then suddenly signal is terrible ... keeps fading in and out (on FM).
    When I'm parked where there is a slightly reasonable signal, if I unscrew the short whip aerial, the signal goes completely, so the aerial is obviously connected.

Any suggestions anyone please.

I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence, but the problem seemed to start after I got it back from the repair shop (fixing the clutch master cylinder, so wouldn't expect that to be relevant). 20210421_204222.jpg 20210421_204208.jpg

2. mikeey84

mikeey84

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe a damaged earth? I've heard that can affect radio signals, and they could have damaged the earthing when they did your clutch

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. mattylad

mattylad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As you can get it out, can you try it with a different aerial in it?

String up a length of wire through the window and pop the end in the aerial socket, that should get a signal.
    About 2 metres of wire outside the car window should do it.

If that gives you reception then it may point to the aerial system itself, is the antenna fully screwed in? is it in fact still there? (it's not uncommon for someone to nick it).

Last edited: 6 May 2021
  5. Peter.N.

Peter.N.

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Its unlikely but not impossible that the radio gain is reduced, far more likely is a fault on the aerial, try sticking a bit of wire in the centre of the socket as suggested, also check that the cable outer screen it securely earthed.

Peter

6. Sponsored Links