Poor seal around front uPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The seal you can see below runs around the inner edge of my uPVC front door but it falls short of meeting the frame by anything up to 1 millimeter.
It's causing a very cold draught to enter the porch.

Any ideas what I can to to improve it?

door.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is there any adjustment on the lock keeps - situated in the door frame? Maybe they are adjustable - to pull the door in tighter.
John :)

In the picture it shows a roller/cam, in the middle of that you will see a star shaped hole similar to what you'd put an allen key in but its called 'torx drive', find the right size bit or key from a set and put it in and turn, they will feel solid but do turn trust me.

Turn it 360 degrees and watch the roller move in and out, set it so the rollers move right over to the left, this will pull the door tighter to the frame, if you do them too much you'll struggle to lift the handle so its best to do one at a time and to keep trying the door, you'll know which one to back of a quarter of a turn then if the handle suddenly gets stiff to lift.

Sometimes the keeps on the frame are adjustable too like these....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=19&sub_category_id=121&range_id=501

......but looking at the roller id say the keeps were fixed

If none of that works you can buy thicker bubble gasket for the door and frame, it could be that its old now and flatened off a bit......

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=15&sub_category_id=109

Many thanks, both helpful posts.

You're correct about the torx headed screw in the roller:

roller.jpg

I'll try to adjust that later today. Just off to the gym though not looking forward to it!

Here's the lock keep. Is it adjustable?

keep.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ace pics!
I would check out the roller on the door - from here it doesn't appear to be eccentric but it may well be.
However, looking at the pictures of the keep - the torx screws above and below the slot are eccentric and these should give you the adjustment that you are looking for. You may have to reposition the final fixing screws though.
Good luck with it!
John :)

The roller should be adjustable as its got the torx drive to adjust it.

The other keep you show is for a hook lock and that keep is adjustable too but i think it'll be an allen key fitting not torx, just to confuse you like :mad:

Generally the hook keeps arent used to pull the door tight to the rubber as it'll be metal on metal when they engage, thats why the cam/roller rolls over its keep, but try it anyway and see but remember the keeps on the frame will need to be adjusted so move towards the outside

I've altered both the roller and lock keep and can still feel a slight draught.

Maybe it's time for a larger bubble seal as per the link above.
The door and frame is only 2 years old!

Blimey you can still feel a draught, what even with the cams turned on max :?:

Im suprised as the doors only 2 years old too but yes new bubble gasket would cure it but remember to back off the rollers after fitting the new gasket then tighten one at a time as before, the gasket is easy to change as it just pushes into a grove

Yes, cams on the roller towards the door and cams on the lock keeps towards the outer frame.

Does the bubble gasket just bend around 90 degree corners or should it be cut at 45 degrees?

Yes you can just fold it in the corners or cut a 'V' in to help you bend it but dont cut right through, just half way

Another thing about fitting the new gasket is to be beware not to stretch it, in between corner to corner make sure the rubber is longer, for instance the rubber could be 4 or 5" longer than the height of the door so would need compressing like a spring then once fitted let it spring out in length, this will ensure if it shrinks it wont pull the corners out as it'll have lots of slack

Just a tip ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back