Poor SFF Lenovo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter asked me why this old pc is so slow, ran benchmarks and seems to suggest all key areas are s-h-i-t-e?
Not a pc person so welcome comments, salvagable?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 16.11.02.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 16.11.02.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 16.13.36.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 16.13.36.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
Not a pc person so welcome comments, salvagable?
It's not a valid benchmark - the background CPU usage seems to be 100%

Whatever is going on in the background has severely slowed the CPU (...for this test). Whether that is due to a temporary task, such as windows updates, or something more malicious may need investigating.

The hard drive is a SATA 300, 2.5", 500GB drive - replacing this with a suitable SSD would also make a big difference to the performance.

....I should also add, the CPU is getting on a bit now, but it should still be able to handle less strenuous tasks!

Last edited:
Added to what Random Grinch said, that processor suggests a 1150 socket motherboard, which isn't upgradeable to much more than you have. I5-4690 from your i5-4570

Looks like a new mobo, processor and ddr4 memory are in order, plus like Grinch said, an SSD drive for your operating system at the very least

Sponsored Links
It's not a valid benchmark - the background CPU usage seems to be 100%

Whatever is going on in the background has severely slowed the CPU (...for this test). Whether that is due to a temporary task, such as windows updates, or something more malicious may need investigating.

The hard drive is a SATA 300, 2.5", 500GB drive - replacing this with a suitable SSD would also make a big difference to the performance.

....I should also add, the CPU is getting on a bit now, but it should still be able to handle less strenuous tasks!
The 100% cpu was the benchmark running .

The 100% cpu was the benchmark running .
"Background CPU" should only be a few % for a decent benchmark...

Screenshot_20230512-175834_Chrome.jpg

The CPU score is so low, that something is going on, either background tasks, or some serious thermal throttling!

...have just done a run myself - "Background CPU 4%"

1683912716677.png

Put a Linux distrib on a fast usb stick and use it as a live drive, to give yourself an indication of what it would be like to use as a main operating system - both from a performance and a "does the user get on with the experience" aspect

Last edited:
Put a Linux distrib on a fast usb stick and use it as a live drive, to give yourself an indication of what it would be like to use as a main operating system - both from a performance and a "does the user get on with the experience" aspect
Never used linux where would I get?

Ubuntu is pretty popular:

Install on a good quality branded USB3 stick (USB3 typically has a blue lump of plastic in the connector) and ensure it's plugged into a USB3 port (if it's got one!) for full speed

Last edited:
Depending on what the machine is used for, you could put Windows XP on it, and it should fly with an SSD. Your daughter will have greater familiarity to that than linux.

The CPU is only suitable for XP.
Totally untrue, Windows Vista, 7 and 8 all launched before the i5-4570T did, and the processor was available for several years after Win10 launched.

No computer with the i5-4570T would have been sold with XP on it.
XP was obsolete years before that processor existed.

For performance that flies, XP will be fine. You can stretch it to Window 7, the performance won't be great. As reported in the OP, performance is terrible in windows 10. Just because you can install an OS on it doesn't mean it's usable.

Sponsored Links
Back