poorly grouted ceramic floor tiles - how to correct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The small builder who has refitted my cloakroom has had two goes at grouting the ceramic floor tiles (the first time he let the carpenter and decorator walk on them before the grout was dry. He had another go at it yesterday and told me not to walk on the floor overnight to allow the grout to dry.

This morning the finish is very patchy and it looks as though on some of the joins the two lots of grout have not bonded. Also - the grout has not been smoother while wet so is very pitted and lumpy. I recently tiled my shower room floor and achieved a much better finish myself.

He is coming back today for the final bits of the job and I'll be asking him to redo the grout again. How can I be sure that it will be done properly this time? should he scrape out all the old grout before having another go. If I end up having to do this myself how do I remove the old grout without damaging the new tiles?

Urgent advice please as he'll be back soon. (This is linked with a plumbing query as the toilet pan is leaking and the new hand basin is wonky!!)

Sponsored Links
Soil pipe is leaking...

Batten behind the basin (shivers) & worse it is wonky...

Sh*t grouting...

You should find someone who is capable of what you need, I can't see that turning out to be a very nice cloakroom...

What jobs did you exactly need doing? Sounded like you should have got in a plumber to carry out your work.

How 'small' was this builder? Was he like a midget or dwarf? If so, there's your problem right there. ;)

Sponsored Links
very glad to report all problems resolved with a day of re-work and actually now looking pretty good ( small builder is plumber by trade but tackled the other elements of the refit too)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back