Poorly installed hardwood floor - advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for the long post but I've got a real problem here :cry: so any advice from flooring experts would be very gratefully received! My wife and I are renovating a house. We had oak flooring in our old flat and wanted it in on the ground floor of the house. I was worried though because the floor is cement (laid about 10 years ago) and I know that its a problem for moisture. However the flooring company we eventually settled on said that the cement wasn't a problem because they would glue down marine ply with special flexible glue and then glue kiln dried 18mm oak planks to the ply. I said that what mattered most was that the floor needed to be flat and solid, no bumps & lumps or hollow sounds. They said "It will be".

I asked them to bring in the wood a few weeks early to aclimatise it but they said it wasnt neccessary because it was kiln dried. When they came in they roughly cut a load of ply and glued it down with flexible glue. It was lumpy but they said it wasnt a problem as the wood would flatten it, then the oak went down and it was ok but not great. It wasnt level where it met the walls, with gaps under the skirting and so on. But away from the walls it was very flat and looked ok, so I figured I could live with the gaps at the skirting so I paid them their 5000 pounds and everything seemed fine.

Big mistake! After two weeks a small hump started to rise in the middle of the back room floor. Over the next 2 weeks it got really big and the floor developed a wave effect. Running my finger across the boards I could tell each plank was cupping, ridging up at the sides. The floor at the door flexed about an inch when you walked into the room. I rang them and they came in for a couple of days and cut out the big lump and patched in new wood but it wasnt a good job, some bits of plank were a couple of inches long, but they assured me that it would "sand up just fine", then also screwed down the floor at the door banging in some noticable plugs then they left to see how it settled saying they would come back in a week and sand it.

In the meantime I've been looking at the floor and I hate it. My wife cries when she thinks about it. The boards are cupped, the floor is still lumpy and uneven with gaps under the skirting. It's also lumped up at the edges in the dining room and the hall. It's a disaster and I'm worried that if I go down the 'letting them fix it' route then it will just look worse and worse and the problem will just keep re-occurring. I'm sure thats its a moisture problem and that their approach was wrong so surely its just going to keep happening?

We wanted oak flooring because we love it and and it would add value to our house. This floor justs detracts from the house. We know its bad because we keep talking about which rugs we can get to "hide the floor" and what furniture we can put against the wall to "hide the gaps"

I dont know what to do. :( Should I let them try to fix it? or just say "forget it. its rubbish." take them to court and then get it ripped out and replaced by another firm.

Please any advice ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear about your problems. But before we can give any advice we need to know a bit more background info.

Did this company check the moist in the cement floor before they started?
with what kind of 'flexible' glue did they install the plywood to the concrete and did they use the same glue for installing the Oak to the plywood?

When was the Oak flooring delivered (how many days days before installation started) and was the moist of the wood checked? Was it an pre- or unfinished floor? If the latter, what kind of finish did they apply?

How big is the total area of wood installed?

Ok. In answer, The floor was briefly/quickly checked for moisture (approx 2 minutes) using a handheld meter. The glue on the ply was a "special" glue (the name I don't know) which came in plastic sausage shaped tubes. I think a different glue was used for the oak.

The oak arrvived with the installers and they started laying it straight away. I don't know if the moisture content of the wood was checked. It was an unfinished floor and was waxed. The area is about 5 meters by 4 meters.

beg your pardon: £5000 for 21-22 sq m ? (5 x 4 = 20 plus some saw-waste)?

The 'sausages' sound like Sika bond, good stuff.
Brief check is fine, doesn't take long to check as long as the settings were correct, but I know you don't know if this was done, sorry.

My advice: check their company profile, get some feed-back from possible other companies. call them back and explain you're not remotely happy, ask for other customer details to check etc.
If they don't satisfy you with any of their answers write an official letter to them, which can start the legal bal rolling

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. 5000 was for the whole job, the bad bits are approx 5 x 4.

If I understand correctly, they also installed the floor in other parts of the house? Same method, same products, but only problems in that one area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back