Renovation of hardwood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 30m2 of hardwood floors in my hallway and lounge. I need to get them repaired in some places and refinished (I guess also re-sanded too). The thing is, I also need to replaster the walls, and do something with the rubbish skirting boards. What should I do first - plaster or floors? Also, what should I do with the skirting boards? They're painted wood at the moment. Should I do the same again, or replace them with wooden ones the same colour as the floor? The floor is an 50 year old oak planked floor. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Always, always all wet-work before installing wooden floors, or in this case restoring wooden floors.

A) the moist in the plaster will effect (temporarily) the amount of moist in the air.
B) spills on a new or just restored floor? Murphy's law is bound to happen.

As for the skirting boards, you have to live in the place, you decide what looks best for you - it's down to personal preferences

i would suggest and always do on my own work that if wet works are preformed around a fitted wooden floor that you take humidity readings of the area before any work is under taken and work out an adverage humidity for the area. Next buy your self a de-humidifier and control the moister in the air while the plastering etc is drying to the same humidity as adverage for the area.( what you should already now know)
Or you could ignore this advice like many silly people do ( dont know why they bother ringing me to ask advice in the first place :eek: ) And say im not spending 150 quid on a de-humidifier and instead ring me back in 6 months time and ask me to rectify there flooring, which intern lines my pockets with loads of cash and helps to pay for all them expensive toys i waste my money on :cool:

Sponsored Links
Ah - I hadn't even thought about the added moisture in the air affecting the flooring. Thanks for pointing that out. I think I'll paint the skirting too, as there are heating pipes running along some of them, so they'd be quite tricky to replace.

Thanks for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back