Pop-open pipe for hole in wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A1558867-FDD7-4CA4-90E6-D4439982F7E8.jpeg

I recently posted this picture of an old core-drilled hole for an extractor fan through the thick stone wall of my flat; it has been done from the outside inwards and is too high, slicing off the bottom of the ceiling joists.

I’m now putting everything back together and I’d really like to line the hole with a pipe, so that the moisture doesn’t dampen the wall. But I can’t slide a solid pipe in from the inside as the ceiling is in the way. I could do it from the outside by removing the air brick, but that would involve chiselling out the mortar from the top of a ladder.

I could use a length of flexible duct but I’d prefer not to if possible, so I have been considering whether I can make something that will roll up for insertion and spring into place. If I had something like a fizzy drink bottle, but >100mm diameter and 800mm long, I could cut it lengthways, roll it up tight, slide it in, and then it would pop open. Any less crazy suggestions anyone???

Sponsored Links
Just use flexi duct for the bit through the wall. You could run the rest of it in rigid depending on where it’s gotta go?

One concern with using flexi duct is the difficulty of pushing it up against the air brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back