pop up blocker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest a decent pop up blocker... tried everything but to no joy.. I have one on google tool bar and also internet explorer one, but these are useless.. tried others too like stopziller, smart and bazooker. all rubbish.

Also keep getting stupid messages popping up saying i have spyware and adware and links to downloads which i dont want.. one of these is called winfixer. Any ideas how to stop these.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try Zone alarm, the free version.
Use Firefox as browser, that'll block most of the pop-ups but will give you the option to show the pop-up if needed.
The you have pest-patrol (free) or spy-bot to get rid of other 'bugs' bugging your pc.

Hi,

Do you have any 'anti spyware' software in your computer? It may be possible that the pop-ups are being generated by some spyware sitting in your computer.

There are some excellent 'free' programs that I would highly recommend you install and use each time you come off the internet.

You will find them easily if you do a search:

1. Ad-Aware (by Lavasoft)

2. Spybot - Search & Destroy

Good luck,

Gary

PS As far as I know you need to run Zone Alarm as a Firewall and can't just use it to block pop-ups.

Sponsored Links
I have anti spyware in my anti virus package.. Im using Panda Platinum virus protection and firewall with automatic updates everytime i log on. Downloaded spybot and its rid several adware file from computer. Seems to be ok so far but just the pop ups to sort out

Thanks

I use SpyBot S&D.. also from within that a tool named 'TeaTimer'

No one seems to mention this part of S&D ...

ResidentTeaTimer Tools
What is the Resident TeaTimer?
The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:
- be informed, when the process tries to start again
- automatically kill the process
- or generally allow the process to run There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.
In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change. As TeaTimer is always running in the background, it takes some resources of about 5 MB.
Why does Resident TeaTimer terminate the application before asking?
Because threats like toll dialers are time critical - they cost from the first second they've connected. In order to protect you, these have to be terminated at the moment they appear before they can connect at all.
You can find the Resident TeaTimer in the tools section
You can immunize against certain threats with S&D
Spybot.jpg

Have a look here :-
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads.php?cat=sp#
:cool: :cool:

When I moved (recently) to Windows XP I set it to block popups (except for trusted sites like my banks). It's effective and seems OK to me. Is there more to it?

Thanks people, however i think its a bit more of a problem than i first thought. Its more of an undetectable virus.

Come across this excellent website where if you post your problem in the forum, someone will contact you in a reply and work on your problem by walking you through the motions.

Link is below if anybody has the same problem as me

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

Also to Empip, How do i find the teatimer part of spybot, Thanks

Start SB S&D

<Tools>

<Resident>

Tick your desires ... untick to remove.
;)

Hi Jackpot,

There is no such thing as an "undetectable virus"

Whilst I agree that not all AV software programs detect viruses, it is usually due to not updating your AV software that allows newer viruses to cause havoc.

If you think you have a virus download Kaspersky AV from www.kaspersky.com

This is a 30 day trial but it will remove the virus. If you scan and it doesn't detect anything then you can be ALMOST certain you DON'T have a virus.

If you think you have Spyware then download Spysweeper.

Spysweeper used to give you a 30 day trial (search google for it) but if you download it now from www.spysweeper.com it will only detect spyware (you have to pay to remove it)

I personally use Symantec 10 corporate edition (installed as a single user)

This is NOT Norton AV (although the same company)

Symantec 10 detects viruses and spyware. The best software on the market but difficult to purchase on the high street.

Hope that helps!

Undetectable virus....Was trying to use simple terms for anyone not used to computer jargon....

What i have is that my Internet explorer has been hijacked by malicious spyware which has hidden itself.
Think this has come from a programme called Winfixer finding its way onto my computer.
Tried Kaspersky but my own AV seems to be doing a good enough job.

Used spybot, Adware SE, McAfee Avert Stinger and used 'cleanmgr' in msdos as well as my AV. Aswell as other software and still no luck.

What i need to do is create log files using a program call Hijackthis and edit/delete the appropiate files in the Windows registry. Already found a few abnormalities in my computer and outdated insecure software so seems to be working.

Thanks tho for posting as all this has helped

There appears to be an association with a trojan named Vundo ....

Someone else concerned .. and apparently sorted..
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t66332.html
Do read everything carefully.. ( spywareinfo.com is respected web site. )
Uses a removal tool from here...
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php

Symantec or Norton's take on Winfixer ....
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/winfixer.html
;)

Be nice if you come back on this ... Then we may all know a little more or less as the case may be... :)

get rid of internet explorer and download Firefox, or another mozilla variant. Its free and stops most pop ups.

Sponsored Links
Back