popcorn finish ceiling removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a plaster ceiling with a popcorn texture, which I would like to redo. The house was built in 1954 and the texture is very hard. Does anyone know if it would be better to try to spread a heavy coat of joint compound over the existing. Or try to remove the old, as asbetstos could possibly be an issue.

thanks

Sponsored Links
is it textured paint like artex? we skim over that in england with finish plaster, sometimes we also remove it with a steamer i think the asbetstos risk is very low, skimming a whole textured ceiling with jointing compound is not something we do over here, havent you got any finish plaster over in the states?

I think the texture was shot on from a hopper and air gun, but it was in 1954 and the mix was completely different than the mix of later years. It has been painted over since. I tried to spray warm water on it and scrape it off, but it doesn't work. the texture feels hard like plaster. didn't know if it would be cost effective to replaster over.

didn't know if it would be cost effective to replaster over.
a bag of finish plaster over here cost about £5 and covers 10m2 and would be more cost effective than spreading jointing compound and you will get a lot better finish, the only other thing i would suggest is a steamer which is a lot more efficient than spraying warm water over it, but even if you do that it will still probably need plastering afterwards, if its in good condition skim over it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back