Porcelain door knob keeps falling off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a Victorian house with porcelain door nobs. I took it apart and the spindle has no holes in it, should it have? I can’t see how this handle can stay on when the only thing securing it is a little tiny screw. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Katie9978, good evening.

Having played around with a few of them a square spindle with no indentations is not uncommon on original Victorian parts.

Suggest you replace the square spindle witha spindle that has indentations, the indentations assist the handle grub screw to hold far better.

Or?? using a thin nail, pin, or something sharp that you can pass through the hole in the handle without doing any damage to the threads make a mark on the spindle, make sure the handle is in the "correct" position when doing this that is as little slack as possible on the handles.

You can, using a drill with a suitably sized drill make an indentation on the spindle into which the handle screw will be a lot more secure.

If you when trying to make the mark with the nail, pin [whatever] on the spindle fail to mark the spindle sufficiently smear some black marker pen ink on to the spindle, that shoule make locating the pin mark easier??

Ken.

Should have a recess on underside and screw should also be secured from below .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back