Porcelain slabs have lifted - what are my options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just had half the garden fitted with porcelain slabs. The builder doing the work hasn't used any "slurry" primer (although he did say that he used a PVA primer) and a lot of them have lifted. Not sure if this is due to the frost over the last month or two?

He did pop round and put PVA on the first loose one we found (third one up in the photo you can see the white glue on it) but that has lifted again.

I don't want him to just stick them down again with PVA as it's obviously not working.

I'm worried because everything I've read on the internet says that a "slurry" primer is a must with porcelain slabs but the builder has said that he's never had to use it before and has never had a problem with other porcelain slabs lifitng.

I wondered what my options are? If I was to prime them with slurry now, is there any adhesive that I could use to bond them down?? Something that wouldn't raise the height too much? Or am I stuck with chiselling all the cement off and starting again?? You can't see it from the photo but, above the steps is a large area so I would hate to have to chisel up the cement for the whole lot and re-level it all if there was any way to avoid it?

I told the builder that I'm not really happy and he's said that he's considering pulling out of the job so I think this may end up down to me to sort out.

Here's a photo - you can see that it doesn't look like they've bonded at all....

Any advice would be very much appreciated as my stress level is at Defcon 5 :)

IMG_20220307_070023.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it were me, there are 2 options

1)get the guy back to fix it properly (pva'ing slabs down? FFS!)
2) if that isn't an option, buy yourself some SBR and cement, make a slurry from them and try that.

Unfortunately, the only sure fire way is to rip it all up and re do it properly, but that is £££ unless you can threaten/cajole your builder into redoing it properly

Edit: option 3 could be to use thinset tile adhesive, outdoor rated of course

I think Marshall do a thin mortar, that might be suitable. Can give you the name/number of Marshall rep if you like.

Last edited:
If it were me, there are 2 options

1)get the guy back to fix it properly (pva'ing slabs down? FFS!)
2) if that isn't an option, buy yourself some SBR and cement, make a slurry from them and try that.

Unfortunately, the only sure fire way is to rip it all up and re do it properly, but that is £££ unless you can threaten/cajole your builder into redoing it properly

Edit: option 3 could be to use thinset tile adhesive, outdoor rated of course

Thanks for that. For option 2 - I'm assuming I would need to put a slurry primer on the tiles as well - and then use a thin layer of SBR and cement to try and make them stick down on to their original bed?

I've not heard of a thinset tile adhesive but will do a bit of Googling and see what I come up with - a big thank you for your help!

I think Marshall do a thin mortar, that might be suitable. Can give you the name/number of Marshall rep if you like.

Yes, please, if you don't mind. If you have a contact it would be good to phone them and speak to them about it. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. For option 2 - I'm assuming I would need to put a slurry primer on the tiles as well - and then use a thin layer of SBR and cement to try and make them stick down on to their original bed?
Pretty much. It has the consistency of double cream, so carefully (as it's a bugger to clean up) paint both the bottom of the tile, and the base with it.

It's a bit of a bodge, and option 3 or FMTs suggestion is likely to work better.

Thin set tile adhesive is just a name for tile adhesive, the important thing is it has to be a cement based one, and not the ready mixed.

Pretty much. It has the consistency of double cream, so carefully (as it's a bugger to clean up) paint both the bottom of the tile, and the base with it.

It's a bit of a bodge, and option 3 or FMTs suggestion is likely to work better.

Thin set tile adhesive is just a name for tile adhesive, the important thing is it has to be a cement based one, and not the ready mixed.

Thanks, I'm just Googling tile adhesives now...

This Rapidset Flexible S2 came up -> https://www.crowntiles.co.uk/latest-news/adhesive-grout-outdoor-floor-tiles

Not sure if you've heard of it? It says suitable for outdoor use AND for porcelain?

I'm wondering if I used Crown Tiles slurry -> https://www.crowntiles.co.uk/20kg-p...HmidT0bBWTSbxDx46Ysu1yZ78FosvsWRoC3TgQAvD_BwE

And then mixed up a thin layer of Rapidset S2 whether it would be enough to hold them....

I'll give Crown Tiles a phone and see what they say....

I'll also (hopefully) speak to the Marshall person. The main thing (apart from sticking the things down) is that it's as thin of a layer as I can possibly get away with. Otherwise digging out the existing cement will be an absolute nightmare.

Thanks again for your help. It's like a pressure-release valve has gone off in my head knowing that there is at least some possible light at the end of the tunnel :)

Not sure you need both the slurry and the adhesive, I've never used porcelain before.

One thing to note is that it's best to back butter the tiles- ie apply a thin layer of adhesive to the tile as well as the floor.

** Update **
Just spoken to the guy at Crown Tiles. Their Rapidset S2 can be laid on a 3mm bed which should be fine.

I'll use their slurry too.

Not sure you need both the slurry and the adhesive, I've never used porcelain before.

One thing to note is that it's best to back butter the tiles- ie apply a thin layer of adhesive to the tile as well as the floor.

That's great. Thanks for that. I've seen that done with indoor tiles as well. Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back