Porcelain tile cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
My bath has finally arrived.
What tile cutter do I need for 60x30x8mm porcelain tiles.
I have tried using my 600 watt Titan electric tile cutter and it took me 20 mins to cut 30cm.
I tried my old manual tile cutter i just about got it to score a line but it was near impossible to break and when it did break it wasnt in one piece it still left most of it in the cenctre.
The tile cutter is a TUV 116A, I think it needs a new cutting wheel but I can feel the frame of the cutter trying to buckle when im trying to break at the score line.
A lot of pressure is required to break the tile at the score line.

Any suggestions anyone?

Kind Regards

Mogsa

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I was looking for something a bit quicker to cut my tiles with.
I have just read my post lol.
I will just have to plod along with my wet cutter, its slow but will do the job.

:D

go and hire a wet cutter from a hire shop - you might have to buy a new blade.

I have used this score'n'snap cutter with 10x600x600mm porcelain tiles.

I do have a wet blade Rubi but any wet cutter with a blunt blade will struggle. Marcrist make decent blades but a wet cutter will always be much slower and the blade cost will be £50 to £70.

I did once use a 4.5" angle grinder to do many of the cuts on a bathroom that had 12x900x900 porcelain tiles. It was accurate to 0.5mm but very dusty...

Sponsored Links
Try and hire a large dry (score & snap) cutter, we use a Rubi TX 1200 which will snap porcelain tiles up to 1200mm, however there about £800 so try and hire one, they do make them in shorter sizes, or another tip we have used in the past is use your dry cutter with a new wheel on it, score a line then use a tile batten under the tile just to one side of the score line and stand on the tile, one foot each side of the line and it should break along it.

Thanks for replys
I just restarted tiling, as ive been at work. I managed to get some more cutting wheels for the dry cutter, but they dont last long.
I should have ignored the missus and got ceramic tiles.
As for my wet tile cutter, on the blade it says it is for porcelain and ceramic, but there still a bloody nightmare to cut.
I didnt realise the diamond blade could go blunt.
Looking on google i found a video to resharpen your diamond cutting wheel, using brick etc. my cutter flies through then easy, but the damn porcelain tiles are still a struggle. :(

Diamond tile blade of 4" grinder works well if you don't mind the dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back