Porch light help

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently the porch light has either 3 or 5 w led bulb being of retired age and she wants to be lazy i need
To make things easier so the porch light can switch it self on & off am sure more qualified on the forum
Will give good advise & help thanking in advance i believe my two options are 1.photocell light switch dawn
To dusk with timer. 2.dawn to dusk led bulb (the reason for the timer so it can turn off say midnight) the led bulb will not have this function so operation could be eratic.
Regards
Ih

Sponsored Links
Just firstly. you do not want a dawn to dusk photocell, or the light will be on all day!
You need a dusk till dawn!

Moving on.

If you want to keep the existing light, then you can get separate photocells
see range here
remember that the photocell will need to be away from the light itself, and other light influences.

The more expensive (Steinel) ones have a facility to come on when it gets dark and go off at, say 1am, after you are back from the pub.

I have replaced a couple of those bulbs with built in photocells, and they aren't reliable, especially if they are inside an existing light fitting.

Your other option will be to change the whole thing so it has a photocell - also maybe with a with PIR - built in to the fitting.

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
if it has its own lightswitch, you can change it for a timed switch. I've had the ones that can be optionally dusk/dawn; or dusk plus n hours; or manual override.

A very good solution, I think.

With an LED bulb, cost of running is insignificant.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMZV210.html
or others.

I've used them with CFLs and LEDs and they work fine.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
mine did, but there were glass panels in the door. Daylight is brighter than the lightbulbs, and you can adjust sensitivity.

• Thanks
Im sure i once see a lamp that comes on at dusk for a preset time only
If theres room in the fitting there is these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smiths-Guard-Holder-Random-Switch/dp/B001GJSAWE

31hMt6xUDuL._SY450_.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back