Porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I’m just in the process and ready to change the upvc porch on the front of our house and build a brick one

Any how I’m going to be digging my foundations 1metre deep by 60 cm well that’s what I was thinking anyway?? They will be deep filled foundations and cavity wall

Also as the size is smaller than 3x3 m it will be permitted development

What I need assistance with is the following

is 1 metre x 60 over kill ( one wall side will be full height brick of the porch so would imagine 1 metre will be fine ( I know it’s soil dependant :) ) but it was more the width would you go 60cm or 40cm … either way I’ll have the spade out lol

Also do I need to notify building control for visits … for some
Reason I didn’t think I need to as it’s
Permitted
Development and not part of the house as such so not structural ?

any help would be really appreciated as I’d rather be 100% and get it right
Thanks

Jake

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Some information about building control for porches here:
https://www.labc.co.uk/homeowners/do-i-need-building-regulations-application-specific-projects/porch

You probably don't need it, but if you are making major alterations to electrical circuits, or adding new windows, these may be notifiable in their own right.

As for your other questions, I'm afraid I can't answer them (Although foundations one metre deep, do sound a little OTT! ;) ).
Perhaps you may wish to move this thread to the 'Building' forum for some incisive answers :)

Hi ,
Appreciate the reply thanks :)
There isn’t any windows or electrical work additional as the electrics are already there as are the windows lol I’m basically just building a wall where the upvc side panels are :) good call though pointing that out, I can see it would catch some people out :)
Many thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
Afternoon all,

I’m just in the process and ready to change the upvc porch on the front of our house and build a brick one

Any how I’m going to be digging my foundations 1metre deep by 60 cm well that’s what I was thinking anyway?? They will be deep filled foundations and cavity wall

Also as the size is smaller than 3x3 m it will be permitted development

I think you need to double check this as I'm pretty sure it's up to 3 m2 for a porch, your 3 x 3 is 9 m2 so would be well over

Hey lineup
Many thanks for your message… I think I may be getting my metre square and square metres muddled up?

I think after looking I’m allowed 3 square metres permitted development ?? Would that be 1x3 or 3x3 lol thanks
Ps good spot

Would that be 1x3 or 3x3 lol thanks
1m x 3m, not 3m x 3m

Following are some of the allowed options to be less than 3m²:
0.5m x 6.0m = 3m²
0.75m x 4.0m = 3m²
1.0m x 3.0m = 3m²
1.73m x 1.73m = 3m²

Sorry but following options are greater than 3m²:
2m x 2m = 4m²
3m x 3m = 9m²

Many thanks for the clarification, I knew I should of gone to maths at school lol

Sponsored Links
Back