Portable AC leaking water and comp not shutting off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Amcor SF10000E approx 3 years old and been working brilliantly for that time.

It gets rid of water via the air exhaust hose, and my understanding of it having a (small) reservoir in the base is for only when there is excessive humidity. That reservoir has two electrical contacts in it that, I guess, shut off the system when the water level reaches them and current flows between them. (There is a "Tank Full" light on the panel so I am guessing this is what operates that).

In practice there is rarely any water in the reservoir.

However, lately it has started leaking water out (soaking the carpet over a period of time unnoticed). This doesn't make a lot of sense as it means that the water is bypassing the reservoir (or the cut off isn't working - but every time I have checked there is zero water in the reservoir). I had the cover off and there is a top tray that may feed water to the lower one but there are no blockages between the two.

Investigation shows that the compressor is not shutting off. I set a temp and the unit just keeps pumping out nice cold air forever! I have cleaned the four filters.

I am thinking that there must be a sensor to measure the temp of the incoming air and this has failed. (Possibly this: http://amcorspares.miiduu.com/amcor-temperature-sensor-probe ).

(I am guessing that this would also cause ice to form hence the excess water (although why it is not collecting in the tank and shutting off the unit I don't know)).

The only thing that casts doubt on that theory though is that when you switch the unit on it defaults to 22 degrees and the comp is not on. Using the temp buttons to lower the temp to (say) 18 kicks the compressor in as you would expect (it just never shuts off again). Does this suggest that the temp sensor is working then?! Or are these operations unrelated?

Sorry for long post! Any ideas welcome.

Sponsored Links
Bump.

Anyone?

I can now see water literally gushing out of the evaporator (condensor?) fins. This can't be good!

Video clip here:

After isolating the appliance can you trace any possible pipes or tubes that discharge to the reservoirs? Its a common fault with A/C's for tube blockages to cause excess moisture. Fungi/bacteria can be the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back