Portable Appliance Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Wonder if you would be able to offer me some advice. I have recently been on the C&G course for PAT. As a landlord I thought that the initial outlay of the course and a tester would be a useful addition given that my tenants like to have their own electrical appliances, testing these before they use them will give me peace of mind.

While I found the course useful I'm not overly convinced that I was taught every thing that would have been possible.

As a test I went and tested some of the appliances that I have in my own home, I came across a juicer, that is a class 1 item, however I am unable to find a suitable area on the appliance where I can clip my earth bond lead, the casing and handle are both made of plastic.

Any advice would be appreciated

T

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is ClassI?
Double check and look for the square within a square symbol.

If it is Class I, then you would need to clip your earth bond to the metal blade inside the juicer.

Luminaire,

Yeah it's definately class 1, says so on it's label, I was suprised myself as there doeasn't appear to be metal parts on it.

http://www.powerjuicer.com shows what I'm talking about. While the handle is metal it fits into the plastic casing.

The steel cutting blade screws onto a plastic mail thread that the motor spins.

Any further advice would be greatly accepted.

T

Is the earth connected to the motor? Can you get access to the motor?

Sponsored Links
There are occasions where a Class I fitting is completey encased in plastic in which case you are unable to complete the test.

Agree, it has got to be one of the most repetative, boring jobs. Thankfully we now have an AVO PAT 4 which records the results instead of doing them manually, that was even worse.
Likened on a boredom level to maintenance on wet cells!!

lol, yeah they are only tiddlers on them though!! As an apprentice we had rooms full of them for UPS inverters, emergency lighting, fire alarms etc. One room had a few 110v systems and a 415v system worth of cells in it, there were a lot and each cells wasn't small either!! Top up the water, measure the SG, measure the voltage hundreds of times ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back