Portable DAB radio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know of a portable DAB radio that is mains powered?

By this I mean that the 230V lead is connected directly to the radio ...... not one which uses a 5V/9V DC supply from a walwart type adapter........ I want one which has the transformer/rectifier biult into the case just like most FM radios do/did.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Good question. The reviews are useless for this type of information so the only way to find out is to hope that an owner comes along or look at the physical products in the shops.

In general, as you've discovered, the trend is for "wall-wart" PSUs because they are cheap, easy to replace and improve reliability of the radio itself (less heat inside and less to go wrong). There's also the safety issue of having a cable carrying mains power to a transportable radio. I've known many instances where dogs (and even a baby) have chewed through the cable!

One of the reasons that these power adaptors are used is that they are easy & cheap to source & that this means that one radio can be supplied all over the world with no modifications. Just with an adaptor that meets that particular countries requirements. Be that 2 0r 3 pins, 50 or 60hz, 120 or 240 volts etc etc.
Put simply it lowers manufacturing costs & increases profit potential.

Sponsored Links
Does anybody know of a portable DAB radio that is mains powered?

By this I mean that the 230V lead is connected directly to the radio ...... not one which uses a 5V/9V DC supply from a walwart type adapter........ I want one which has the transformer/rectifier biult into the case just like most FM radios do/did.

Thanks

Have a lok at the
Roberts Gemini 21 http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/assets/User_guides/DAB_radios_PDFs/ug_Gemini_21.pdf

I think this has AC in rather than the external adapter and DC in

My (very old) neighbough has one similar I think maybe the Roberts Gemini 11 (discontinued) and comes around with it everytime she manages to mess up her pre-set stations! I recall it had the mains lead as she does not put batteries in it!

One of the reasons that these power adaptors are used is that they are easy & cheap to source & that this means that one radio can be supplied all over the world with no modifications. Just with an adaptor that meets that particular countries requirements. Be that 2 0r 3 pins, 50 or 60hz, 120 or 240 volts etc etc.
Put simply it lowers manufacturing costs & increases profit potential.
Indeed, not to mention that not putting the mains into the unit means you can forget about a whole pile of safety/regulatory issues as you just leave them to the supplier of the PSU.

Thanks for all your input, guys. I think I'm gonna go with the Intempo as suggested by Stivino.

I apreciate all the reasons why the manufactures have used the walwart type adapters, but, nevertheless, I want one with the PSU built in!!! :)

Adrian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back