Portable gas fire - lighting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a DeLonghi RH35 portable gas fire that I bought about 10 years ago. It's hardly ever been used and certainly hasn't been used for a number of years. I've also lost the manual.

Today I dusted it off (it had loads of dust in and on it) and I'm having problems lighting it.

First and foremost, the spark is working but most of the time the rectangular ceramic elements won't light. However, if I use a match then it lights all of the time.

Second problem is that it won't stay lit - if I hold down the dial on the top then it's fine, but as soon as I release the dial (even after 10 seconds or so) the flame on the ceramic element goes out.

I also can't see a pilot light of any sort - shouldn't there be one in the area where it sparks?

Sponsored Links
Needs a good service by the sounds of things, although it might be cheaper to chuck it out and buy a new one

That's a pity. Is there nothing that I can check? I've given it a good clean in the area of the pilot light.

It needs dismantling and cleaning out properly, which isn't something that should be attempted by a non-Gas Safe person

Sponsored Links
I presume this is a portable fire with an LPG cylinder.

These cause bad condensation from the water vapour produced and can often be a high risk from carbon monoxide gas.

Tony

yes it has a pilot and it will probably need the pilot and the system that keeps that lit replaced or checked. Get it serviced by someone certified in LPG, as others have mentioned, also ensures it will burn correctly.

If it has to be used and anytime it is used, please, please, please have a portable, up to date CO meter in the same room and ensure it's well ventilated.

All points noted, thanks. :)

BTW, it uses the good old 15kg Calor Gas cylinder.

Managed to get it working by giving the pilot light area a good scrub with a toothbrush and applied a few squirts from an air duster.

As I can't find the manual am I correct in saying that once it's lit the only way to turn it fully off is at the main valve? It has two ceramic heating elements - the right one lights when it's first turned on then the other lights at an additional turn of the knob. But when it's turned back to the default setting (the "lowest" setting) the right element stays lit (as does the pilot light). I can only turn it fully off using the valve/lever that is part of the assembly that's connected to the calor gas cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back