posidrive screw & bit combination burring out

Here's the slightly chewed up dewalt driver bit, used from new, and has done about 175 or so of these 150mm screws. You can see how the flanks have worn, mainly on the drive side, but also on the reverse as I've had to wind out a few screws that had hit some excessively tough timber (knots mostly).

Attachments

• 20181126_231035.jpg
    20181126_231035.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Here's an almost fresh one, probably done less than a dozen screws, but under similar circumstances.

Attachments

• 20181126_231059.jpg
    20181126_231059.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 84
Here's a comparison with a cheap one from screwfix I picked up this evening. I've tried to align the tip of the screw head and you can see the end of the angled section on the flutes is a fraction higher. Interestingly I tried rsgaz's suggestion and the new, cheap driver bits will hold the 6" screw almost horizontal, and have almost no backlash, whereas even the 'almost fresh' dewalt bit won't hold it, and has a bit of slop in the head.

Given these newer 'cheapo' bits are fresh, it will be interesting to see how well they drive - didn't have a chance to test it tonight as the kids are in bed (all this shenanigans is in the loft).

Attachments

• 20181126_231451.jpg
    20181126_231451.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 91
Interestingly I tried rsgaz's suggestion and the new, cheap driver bits will hold the 6" screw almost horizontal,

I actually meant the other way round, good quality screws with a good quality bit, the screw can hold up a (small) drill...

drillscrew.jpg

In that last photo, the 'fins' almost look a different width. Very strange from, you'd hope, a good manufacturer like Dewalt.

Sponsored Links
drilling at 5mm pilot, but my drill bit is only long enough to get 2/3 the way through the top timber.

If you arent all the way through, that will stop your timber pulling up tight.

A 6mm bit is needed unless no threaded portion is in first timber

If you arent all the way through, that will stop your timber pulling up tight.

A 6mm bit is needed unless no threaded portion is in first timber

I did consider that, however the amount of force (measured just now about 50kg) I'm putting on the driver, and the fact that the unthreaded shank is long enough to pass through the top timber means there's no gap between the two when (if) finally tightened.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back