position of F & E Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there good people - can anyone assist please?
Replacing old non condensing boiler with a Baxi solo 18 HE (Nice and simple- like me) Old boiler in centre of house, new boiler can only go in loft (no other available outside wall) Problem is the height of the F & E tank relative to the boiler - it's 15" lower. Can raise it if necessary but would rather not. I'm retaining most of the old, very neat, piping. System is Honeywell Y plan with the pump in the airing cupboard, next to the 3-way valve and hot water tank. Pump, therefore has a head of around 10ft. Will the low F & E tank be a
problem? Ta muchly.
I might have had a slip of the digit with the honeywell plan - it's a Y, not an S
sorry

Sponsored Links
Hi there good people - can anyone assist please?
Replacing old non condensing boiler with a Baxi solo 18 HE (Nice and simple- like me) Old boiler in centre of house, new boiler can only go in loft (no other available outside wall) Problem is the height of the F & E tank relative to the boiler - it's 15" lower. Can raise it if necessary but would rather not. I'm retaining most of the old, very neat, piping. System is Honeywell Y plan with the pump in the airing cupboard, next to the 3-way valve and hot water tank. Pump, therefore has a head of around 10ft. Will the low F & E tank be a
problem? Ta muchly.
I might have had a slip of the digit with the honeywell plan - it's a Y, not an S
sorry

When you say YOU are changing the boiler, I hope to God you mean you are paying someone else to do it. If so, get hm to look at the job and offer alternatives.

Dear Gasexpert - thanks for taking the time to inform me of my standing with regard to my boiler installation - to assume from my post that I was contemplating doing ALL the work only makes an Ass of u and me, as I am fully aware of what I can do and what I can't. I am, however, perfectly capable of sticking a boiler on a wall and doing the simple plumbing that these things require, especially since the majority of the installation has been running now without any problems for twenty odd years - it is only the boiler that is moving. All I asked was a simple request regarding the siting of the F&E tank - if you don't know - perhaps somebody else does and would be kind enough to let me know- then when I get the so called 'expert' in to do the tricky bits and vet my work, I will have save myself a bit of dosh.

It might be an idea to get the person who will "vet" your work to advise you since it will be they who will sign it off and it will be their decision alone which you need to listen to.

For the record, I'd imagine that you will find it hard to find someone who will be willing to put their name on any paperwork involving an installation carried out in this way for a veriety of reasons. Good luck with it though.

Sponsored Links
The MI's will have guidance on low head installations, but in your example, looks like a bit more work with the header tank I'm afraid. Sealing the system is another avenue to explore and for your own safety and your loved ones get the boiler and its flue installed correctly.

to assume from my post that I was contemplating doing ALL the work only makes an Ass of u and me, as I am fully aware of what I can do and what I can't. I am, however, perfectly capable of sticking a boiler on a wall and doing the simple plumbing that these things require

You made a complete ass of yourself by even considering, and telling us, positioning the header tank below the boiler. It indicates a total lack of common sense or understanding. But feel feel free to have a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back