Positive Head Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Is it normal practise to install a pump for hot water only to a jacuzzi bath/shower enclosure which has a mixer tap??

Would be great if someone could let me know asap on this as I want to order all the bits up and crack on with it (yes I am a DIYer before anyone asks) - A bit more info:-

Both tanks are above the cylinder in the airing cupboard and I was thinking of putting the pump on the floor next to the cylinder and feeding pumped hot water supply through the wall. The exisiting cold water supply which fed the old bath has good pressure so I dont think I need to improve on this.

My heating is not via a combi boiler. My system for part of the shower will be negative head but I believe I can 'kick start' the pump with the bath taps or lower the shower head.

Rhys

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your detailed and informative reply. What would we ever do without forums eh?

You asked only one question, twice. Did you want more than two answers?

BTW, it's fora.

Sponsored Links
I think if Softus had any idea what you were talking about he would have been more specific :rolleyes:

Then perhaps not.

If you have a negative system you want a negative pump. :idea:

I know exactly what he's talking about, but I don't see how I could have been more specific. :D

Ok, so a pair of No's is pretty specific, however, a little more information would have been appreciated. I find this a useful forum and expected more thats all.

It says elsewhere on this forum that a positive head pump can be used in a negative head situation and it even quotes the manufacturers agreeing with the principle!!

As far as it not being normal practise to only pump the hot water, then why are they made and sold???

Anyway all things aside, I have ordered a Salamander twin pump (along with a 's' type flange in the end as I couldnt get a single pump in time!

OK. If you want a full[er] answer then you need to provide a weensy bit more information.

1. Is the cold supply to the shower fed from the mains, or from a cistern?

2. If the latter, what is the precise vertical distance between the base of the cistern and the shower handset in its normal position (i.e. when in use)?

3. What is the precise vertical distance between the base of the cistern that supplies the hot water cylinder, and the shower handset in its normal position (i.e. when in use)? This will be the same as in (2) if you have only one cold storage cistern.

4. What's the horizontal distance between hot water cylinder and the shower?

5. What's the make and model of shower valve?

6. When you say "jacuzzi bath/shower enclosure", what do you mean? Is it one of those self-contained 'steam cabins' that are in vogue at the moment?

I thought I was asking the questions?? :D

The Salamander CT50 is on its way by the way - maybe it will be going straight back, but I hope not.

1/ From the mains (but as i have now bought a twin pump, it will now be from the cistern)
2/ About 6 inches below
3/ Ditto
4/ About 18 inches
5/ Pass - ebay special, probably Chinese if the rubbish instructions are anything to go by!
6/ Yes it is a corner enclosure, but the steam unit has a separate cold supply and needs little pressure. There are body jets but Im not bothered about them realy. More focussed on being able to have a nice warm jacuzzi bath and a shower!

I do not want a 'power shower' solution, I just want a decent shower with both hot and cold water!!!

I thought I was asking the questions?? :D
Really? I'm pretty sure that you weren't.

The Salamander CT50 is on its way by the way - maybe it will be going straight back, but I hope not.
Are you asking my (or anyone's) opinion about how annoying it will be to have to lower the shower handset to start the positive head pump that you've ordered?

5/ Pass - ebay special, probably Chinese if the rubbish instructions are anything to go by!
So what do the instructions say about the supplies to the shower valve, or to the unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back