Possibility of using a radiator as a backboiler on wood burner.

Would you not get more efficiency by having the pipework above the stove?

My burner is not that hot on the sides, and back, the front is scorching, same as the top.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you'll capture enough energy from the woodburner with that setup to make much difference to the comfort of the otherwise unheated rooms. I might be wrong- if I am you may run into bother with localised kettling (giving steam pockets in the top of the loops reducing flow thus more kettling until there's a massive gurgling whoosh as the steam (energy) escapes up the expansion pipe.

One plan I contemplated with mine was ducting the warm air from around the woodburner to the rest of the house- trouble is I'd left it a bit late to create duct runs to the rooms so didn't actually try it.

You'll lose some of your precious energy heating the oil boiler with that setup (you could avoid that by closing the iso valves on the oil boiler), more importantly when you do run the oil boiler you'll lose an absolute shedload of energy warming the woodburner plus quite likely inadequate circulation in more remote radiators. Fitting isolation valves to that homebrew hex would be a very very bad idea.
If you are capable of soldering up a homebrew hex as the picture you'd be more than able to plumb in a thermal store, a wet woodburner and associated bits and bobs (loading valve being the main one).

One plan I contemplated with mine was ducting the warm air from around the woodburner to the rest of the house- trouble is I'd left it a bit late to create duct runs to the rooms so didn't actually try it.

That might be a really bad idea, the risk is of ducting combustion gases through to other rooms.

Sponsored Links
Having considered everyones input to my project , I think I will leave it this year , but next year I will consider puttinging in a thermal heat store , then some solar panels and also the back boiler.
So next move is to try and get a backboiler for my Stovax, Stockton 11 woodburner which sits in a large inglenook.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back