Installing a backboiler to existing Oil fired Open Vent system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Last year I installed an open vented oil fired CH system also serving the DHW in our cottage .
This was commissioned by a local engineeer who was impressed with my DIY skills , It does help that
I trained as an electrician/plumber upon leaving school some 40 years ago.

Now, hopefully my next plan will help with the fuel cost .
We have a 12 KW woodburning stove (No back boiler) and I am contemplating adding a back boiler and plumbing this into the CH system so we can run some or possibly all the radiators from the woodburner,
I have not seen much information on this on the internet omn this ! ( although I,ve not had a thorough look yet).
The woodburner is a Stovax , Stockton 11 which throws out plenty of heat into the room and I thought what a waste to not heat the rads from this if possible.

What are your thoughts on this please , I am sure some of you have gone down this road .

Best regards

Sponsored Links
It's all doable, search in this forum, you'll find several discussions.
Quick precis;
If you can get free firewood (or free smokeless) then you can cover installation costs. If you are paying for your fuel then forget it- at current rates gas per usable kWh is still far cheaper, oil probably is too.
To most effectively harness the energy from the woodburner you'll need a thermal store, v wise to fit a loading valve as well. You can link your oil boiler etc to the store in several ways- again search thermal store in this forum.

Thanks for the reply. We are pretty much off grid up here in the wilds. We have electricity but no gas , water is from a spring and a well. The oil delivery only occurs in the summer when the track is ok for the tanker. Wood is in abundance hence my thoughts on the back boiler.. I will follow your suggestion regarding seeking info. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back