central heating and wood burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant Combi that heats the house, but this year I bought a 5kw woodburner, to provide a more cosy living room.

The ground floor is semi-openplan, so heat from the burner tends to move around the house. So much so, that the 'stat in the dining room doesn't activate the boiler most evenings when the fire is burning.

OK this is fine for our ground floor comfort, but it can make the bedrooms colder that would be if the CH was kicking in all evening.

Can anyone suggest a good solution. I do have to replace some rads and have the system overhauled, so any extra work could be done at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Move thermostat or turn it right up when you have the log burner on.
Wouldn't worry though you'll soon get bored will stoking the log burner
getting the wood etc and end up with the central heating on.

Take no end out and put gas fires back in.

Hi,,,,,, have you got trv on your rads,,, if so crank up your dining room stat and let the trv's do their job

Wouldn't worry though you'll soon get bored will stoking the log burner
getting the wood etc and end up with the central heating on.

Take no end out and put gas fires back in.

Your views on solid fuel & wood burners (stated a few times now), assumes everyone can be judged by your own standards of idleness.

Sponsored Links
Your views on solid fuel & wood burners (stated a few times now), assumes everyone can be judged by your own standards of idleness.

He's giving his opinion based on, as he states, the number of log burners he takes out and replaces with gas fires. I've heard that view elsewhere.

I'd look at installing zone valves, so that the upstairs and downstairs zones operate independently, and the Vaillant boiler only fires if there's a demand from either zone.

zones is where I am going in my thinking, the feeling being that using the TRV's to make the boiler work harder will be more costly on the bills.

If I have a 'stat upstairs, does it have to be wired in these days or can it all be wireless.

I am just thinking that since the plumber has to spend two days changing rads and fitting new TRV's, he may as well go the extra mile and fit the extra stats, maybe also a weather controller if my Valliant will take it.

PS for the 'anti-woodburner' I love the exercise, plus the wood is free!

I love wood burners too, we had one when we where away in the lakes for 10 days.

I managed to keep it going for the 10 days straight.

I doubt it.

You posted on here asking for advice. You got your advice and, having got it, start insulting those you got it from.

It's his opinion, you do not have to agree with it. I say again, I have heard excatly the same views expressed by installers of wood-burning stoves. A large proportion of purchasers cannot maintain the time and effort required to feed a wood burner. I don't know or care whether you fall into that category; you will find out.

I doubt it.

You posted on here asking for advice. You got your advice and, having got it, start insulting those you got it from.

What are you on about? I'm not the OP.

Perhaps your powers of concentration might explain how you haven't noticed that wood burner sales are on the increase as are wood fuel prices. Far from claims that they're being ripped out wholesale to be replaced by gas fires.

Perhaps your powers of concentration might explain how you haven't noticed that wood burner sales are on the increase as are wood fuel prices. Far from claims that they're being ripped out wholesale to be replaced by gas fires.

Not what he claimed and not what I said. Try to concentrate.

Many installed are neglected. Some are later removed.

Any way you want, no one is taking out 'no end' of wood burners and replacing them with gas fires. Especially as they're mostly installed in non-gas areas. Most built up areas are in smoke controlled zones where only exempt wood burners are allowed. Or is it someone goes to the trouble of buying and fitting an exempt stove to have it replaced by a gas fire?

PS. You're only hammering the understanding bit 'cos you ****** up by thinking I was the OP.

Is your loft insulation up to scratch, are the upstairs windows draughty?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back