Possible Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was doing some work to my shed, that joins on to my neighbours shed that has corrugated roof sheets it's not iron I would say it looks to be asbestos, but I'm by no means an expert. Anyway when I was working just below the roofline, near the end where it meets up with next doors shed a piece of what looks to be white cement fell down, ( See attached photo) Could this possibly be asbestos?

Attachments

• 20170708_212345.jpg
    20170708_212345.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 135
Sponsored Links
Looks like a lump of salt.

If the roof sheets are more than 30 years old view, then they may have some chrysotile asbestos fibres in them. This is the least harmful type - and is not so much as an issue outside.

You can find companies online that will test this for you if you pop it in several bags and post it off. The fee is fairly small.

You can find companies online that will test this for you if you pop it in several bags and post it off. The fee is fairly small.
Why test it? Firstly it's his neighbours shed, secondly it will do no harm to anyone if it's not drilled, sanded, smashed up etc etc. Just assume it might be asbestos cement sheet and leave well alone.

Sponsored Links
Why test it? Firstly it's his neighbours shed, secondly it will do no harm to anyone if it's not drilled, sanded, smashed up etc etc. Just assume it might be asbestos cement sheet and leave well alone.

Because the OP wanted to know if was Asbestos. Test would confirm this. If it were me I would bag it and bin it....... but that doesn't answer the OP's question.

Because the OP wanted to know if was Asbestos. Test would confirm this. If it were me I would bag it and bin it....... but that doesn't answer the OP's question.

Industry guidance is to presume asbestos if material is suspected or unknown.

Perhaps more relevant, would be if the OP wanted to know the risk of that particular material of it did have asbestos content.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back