Possible dodgy eletric heating system

The installer doesn't need reporting, he needs sectioning under the mental health act.

She hasn;t anything to be embarrassed about, it could happen to anyone. Don't suppose you know how much he charged her for this, er, "thing"

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but those cables look very small.

How many kW is that boiler?

Looks like there is a significant leak somewhere too.

I hate dealing with stuff like this as the elderly often feel that way and it really isn't their fault.

Be interested to see the paper work... personal details covered of course.

Sponsored Links
What rating MCB is that, and has he run two cables to it to feed both heaters :confused:

Must admit, it's difficult to find any redeeming features.

The more I think about it the more dangerous I think that install is.

Ignoring the plumbing for a while.. get a sparky in to check over the wiring. The switches seem too small, the cables' too small.

I bet if you ran the system for 15 mins or so you could feel the heat coming off the wiring in your latest pictures.

The only thing that may be preventing that cable from going up in smoke is the water spraying over it from that leak :confused:

I'm sure you'll handle it well op, but try your best not to worry her over this but it doesn't look too promising.

I am sure the MIs state that you should pump to the bottom inlet pipe to ensure good flow through the element. These elements can fry easy if the flow is not sufficient.

Pete

This is all getting more and more worrying. He has signed the book thats the only paper he has left. She does not have any reciept. I ma not sure she can afford to put it right either unfortunately. I will try to cnvince her not to put it on until it has been sorted.

It is all horible and very worrying. She is a little cross with me as well for putting it on the internet but I think it was the right thing to do.

From the details on the paper work the person who installed it is actually a builder who runs his own company. I think this is even more alarming as its not just a "handyman". According to the builders website they do the following:

Porches & Conservatories
Extensions
Re-Roofing
Kitchens
Bathrooms
Sheds & Garages
Landscaping
Brickwork
Blockpaving
Driveways
Patios & Decking
Ponds
Lawns
Terraced Bedding
Fencing

It's a shocking installation which will never look great until it is ripped out and re-piped. However, and the pros will be able to clarify this, it might be made to be safe (PRV's, proper wiring, leak fixed, proper G3 &MI safety features installed) for a not huge amount of money.

Sounds like a suitable candidate for one of these rogue builders type of show..

From the details on the paper work the person who installed it is actually a builder who runs his own company. I think this is even more alarming as its not just a "handyman". According to the builders website they do the following:

Porches & Conservatories , Extensions , Re-Roofing , Kitchens ,Bathrooms , Sheds & Garages, Landscaping, Brickwork
Blockpaving, Driveways, Patios & Decking, Ponds , Lawns
Terraced Bedding , Fencing
So it is IronNaz after all! Sorry op- it's an inhouse joke.

Seriously, I wouldn't let him mow my lawn yet alone anything else :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back