Possible dodgy eletric heating system

Those two grey cables for the heating go to that old Wylex fusebox - there is no way that can possibly be suitable, as it will be limited to 30A per way.

That Trianco boiler will require far more than 30A, and will draw the full load current for the whole time it is on - which could be hours.
The result will be the fusebox contacts overheating and melting, eventually the entire fusebox will be a total loss and will require replacement.

From the picture, the boiler looks to be about 1m tall (based on the size of the other items in the picture), which means it is at least a 9kW model, could be 11 or 12.

Cables look like a 2.5 and 6mm, which presumably would be one for the boiler and one for the small heater.
6mm would just about be permitted if the heater is a 9kW, and the cables are surface mounted (or hanging in free air). If the heater is larger, the cable is too small.
Either way, that fusebox is NOT suitable for the boiler.

Sponsored Links
By signing that guarantee card, it may well be that the installer has provided her with some ammunition since he is thus claiming to be qualified. This leaves him open to prosecution I'd have thought. As a minimum, he should remove the whole lot and recompense her fully for whatever he charged her. I would normally add "and make good", but the thought of him being let loose on a bag of plaster is frightening, to say the least.

Thanks everyone. I'm amazed by the response. Every one has been very helpful. I was worried I was being silly and people would say its fine but clearly it is not just the mess, bad plumbing but also electrics. Scary stuff. I don't know how people can do this to other people. What if it caught fire and she died. How do some people sleep at night? I have emailed trading standards. Thanks again for all your advice.

? I have emailed trading standards. Thanks again for all your advice.[/quote]

Please let us know of their response.

Sponsored Links
She shouldn't have to pay to have any remedial work done.

The installation should have been carried out to a reasonable standard which as a minimum would be in accordance with the law (Building Standards) and the manufacturer's instructions.

Untidy pipework is - to some extent - a matter of opinion; a bargain priced job may have been quoted on the basis the pipework would be routed in the easiest way rather than the tidiest.

However

- failure to provide appropriate pressure relief valves
- failure to use appropriately sized and protected cables and switchgear
- leaving carpet edges sticking up at joins and thresholds

are all immediately dangerous and well below any acceptable standard of work.

The 'handyman' has to be given an opportunity to remedy the work - and if he isn't qualified or competent then he must subcontract to a qualified or competent person - within a reasonable time. If he does not do so, then he can be sued for the full costs of repairing or reinstating the work to the reasonable standard implied in the contract for the supply of goods and services, even if that cost is greater than the amount paid for the work.

If the lady has house or contents insurance it may include a free legal advice service.

In the meantime I would suggest that the lady do not let the 'handyman' into her house ever again unless she has a witness with her.

Please tell me she didn't pay cash.

If the lady has house or contents insurance it may include a free legal advice service.

Excellent point

Thank you for a fair and balanced point. I do not believe she has any contract I understand paid cash. The only paper work we were able to find was on the instruction manual where he put his details and signed it. To be honest I would be surprised if she will want to have the conflict and these people do like to pop in and see her for a cup of tea. She is lonely and likes the company and she then is able to be easily persuaded to have these kind of jobs done by them. I am unsure what she will say to them. I do not think she wants the conflict and is embarrassed by it. Tomorrow I will print off and take her all the new responses and hope she will realise how bad and dangerous the work is. Ultimately I hope she will eventually realise these people are not her friends or this may happen again.

Excellent point
Not sure about this actually. Simply by asking her insurers anything, her premiums could increase regardless of whether they are able to help or not. So, maybe worth Citizen's Advice or Law for All first.

Excellent point[/quote]Not sure about this actually. Simply by asking her insurers anything, her premiums could increase regardless of whether they are able to help or not

Why on earth do you think that? And, anyway, the helplines are a contracted service.

. So, maybe worth Citizen's Advice or Law for All first.
If you can find one in still in existence, and I have had mixed quality of responses from them, albeit some time ago.

I thinl the main worry here, apart from the dangerous work, is that she considers the rogue a friend, and he will be so until she is skint.

Why on earth do you think that? And, anyway, the helplines are a contracted service.
Any call to an insurer is logged and added to a database. This provides information for assessing risks of giving insurance which is likely to increase premiums in cases such as this (after all, someone has to pay for this "free" legal advice).

I think the main worry here, apart from the dangerous work, is that she considers the rogue a friend, and he will be so until she is skint.
I totally agree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back