Possible external expansion tank error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted an external expansion vessel to my ferroli as the internal one was passing a lot of water, it's created another problem, it all went well, fitted to return pipe ( i double checked) joint eventually stopped leaking but then.... When I fire up the boiler in burns for about thirty seconds and makes a thud and the pilot goes out.

Now I'm preparing for a good kicking here but I think I've discovered the error, I've put the tank about a foot above the boiler, it will only take a morning to fix, is this likely to be the problem, the pressure is correct, I can't see it being anything else, any advice please? , Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As above. Loosen the compression nut on your EV connection to release any trapped air in the pipework and make sure the cap on the auto air vent in the boiler is not closed. Check boiler manual for first fill/vent procedure.

Sponsored Links
Check the pressure in the expansion vessel is set to about 0.7 bar with no pressure in the heating system

Ok, Ive done all that now , no change , I think theres now a PCB problem , to be honest the external vessel addition went well but now it wont click on ignition and all the relays are buzzing , my theory is this , i think power isnt going to parts of the board , stopping it lighting and also maybe not powering the pump (same plug) and therefore the water isnt circulating and its overheating and shutting down . ive ordered a reconditioned pcb to arrive tomorrow ,
if that doesnt work I really think the games up and I need a new boiler , Ill let you know.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back