possible fault with new kitchen wiring - need advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,
Just hoping I can get a little electrical advice re wiring in my new kitchen.
My old kitchen had at least four, maybe six (can't remember for sure) old-fashioned 50w 240v spots over the cooking area, plus two over the eating area.
My new kitchen has ten 240v GU10 6w LEDs over the cooking area, plus four over the eating area.
All but one of the LEDs in the cooking area have gone in the six months since the new kitchen was finished. They're Aurora brand and have a two-year guarantee, so they were placed.
Now one of the replacement bulbs has gone too.
I thought Aurora had a reasonable name, which is why I got that brand. Now I'm starting to wonder if the problem isn't with the bulbs, but the wiring.
I wasn't happy with the standard of work of the electrician who did the job - tried to rush thru his work and generally like a bull at a gate.
I know b*all about domestic wiring, but I'm wondering if there's any way he could have messed the wiring up in a way which is causing these bulb failures?
And if he did, what would I do to discover this?
Any advice from you expert electricians out there much appreciated...

Sponsored Links
What kind of fitting is it?

Is there insulation above?

Have the lamps actually failed or is it a poor connection, possibly due to a damaged or burnt-out lampholder?

Are the fittings brand new?

Have they always held LED lamps?

I agree with SS, need answeres to his queries.
I've installed hundreds of LED light fittings and failures are less than 1% if they are installed properly.

Unfortunately, many folk think they are the cure-all and can go anywhere. they are electronic devices and are sensitive to heat and moisture. Like most of us, they will die in the wrong environment.

No idea on that brand, but i've tried a few of the cheaper ones, and they've almost all had failures. My brother had similar luck to you, albeit with a no name brand, every single one failed within 6 months.

Its usually down to badly designed lamps simply overheating and electronic parts failing. Personally i avoid lighting my house with spotlights, but if i were to fit LED downlights, i'd buy the ones that replace the whole fitting in the ceiling, like these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Energy_Saving_Index/Halers_LED_Downlights/index.html

They're designed properly and you can see the massive heatsinks on the back, which is the key to longevity with LED's. You need to keep them cool.

The conversion lamps just have no way to cool themselves when restrained by the footprint of a standard GU10 lamp.

Sponsored Links
Fan cooling modules are available for LED lamps.

http://www.thermaco.co.uk/led-cooling-modules.php There are other sources.

Normally used when the fitting has to be reliable and long lived.

Most LED lamps start degrading when the elements are hotter than 70° C

The fitting may be cool to the touch while the element(s) are much hotter as heat transfer from the element to the casing is often in-adequate.

Thanks for the responses guys.
In answer to questions -
All fittings are brand new, like the LED bulbs. They are iCage fittings from Ansell Lighting - http://www.anselluk.com/products/iC...Cast-Downlight-50W-MR16GU10-Satin-Chrome/p638
Specs seem good, as does quality, and open construction of holder - rather than standard can design - is designed to dissipate heat and allow lights to run cooler.
Wiring for all fittings was new too.
There's no sign of damage to any of the fittings. They've held nothing but these Aurora LEDs since installation. The lamps just keep failing.
There's no insulation in the ceiling void.
As I said, I went for Aurora LEDs because I got the impression they were a good reputable UK company. See - http://gb.auroralighting.com.
These are a brand name bulb unlike a lot of the stuff you see on ebay and amazon.
Hope this helps!
Best to everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back