Possible legal implications of pressure washing block paving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
15554216006271652807185477776667.jpg
I work on a block of flats and a guy who lives there asks me sometimes to pressure wash the block paving in texts. I heard lots of.people use this method of cleaning then re-sand but I've also heard it affects the position of the blocks so isn't a good idea.

I've been working there for two years and have noticed some blocks are not level with others some a bit raised compare to ones next to them (see pixs) Could I be sued in years to come ?

As I technically work through a property management company who know the law I am often worried about all this?

I recently have been hiring a petrol pressure washer, previously it was just an electric small one.
15554203723885328509210815922563.jpg
15554204360669172031662193484737.jpg
15554205946981642481765486374349.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not a pro
But recently a guy did petrol powered jet washing on the block opposite me. Then re sanded the area

I would check with the property management company and only do it "under orders" after you've pointed out any issues. Careful use of the jet washer (don't point it down a joint) shouldn't make them sink

I have lived in a few premises with block paving, and the first one the blocks sank, and two blocks not moved all treated the same. As to if the first one could be blamed on cleaning who knows, and this is the point, it is impossible to say why a drive has failed, I know the last drive the people laying spent ages with the preparation before the bricks went down, and there was no sand under the bricks the sand only filled gaps after laid, but the one that sunk had sharp sand under the bricks.

Now if the person laying it has given instructions that the drive must not be power washed then he would have a good case saying the fault is due to abuse, today main reason for brick sets is so water drains through the bricks, but years ago I have seen them laid on dry lean, which will set as hard as a rock and would not let water drain through it.

So I am sure the drive where bricks moved it likely would not have moved had it not been pressure washed, but also it would not have moved if it had been laid well in first place. However as soon as you see there is a fault to continue to pressure wash is clearly wrong, you know there is a problem, but until they move you simply don't know. So damage to date would be hard to blame you for, but if you continue then yes your fault as you know they are not well laid.

The worst block paving I ever experienced was (ironically) outside my local b&q.
When it first opened it had a massive block paved cR park that 12 months later sounded like a xylophone as cars drove on it. Eventually a small team of blokes spent absolutely ages lifting and relaying the blocks

Sponsored Links
Not a pro
But recently a guy did petrol powered jet washing on the block opposite me. Then re sanded the area

I would check with the property management company and only do it "under orders" after you've pointed out any issues. Careful use of the jet washer (don't point it down a joint) shouldn't make them sink

Interesting, I've worked on this drive for two years and pressure washed it three times.

As it's been done three times already and I was asked by guy in flats who unofficially seems to run the place, should I still ask the property management company from now on or have I ruined it for myself by doing it without asking until now?

Last edited:
Hmmm
Having done it once without permission it's awkward but I would risk it and own up to following instructions but admit to second thoughts so checking? You may need to add more sand so factor that in

Hmmm
Having done it once without permission it's awkward but I would risk it and own up to following instructions but admit to second thoughts so checking? You may need to add more sand so factor that in
My public liability might have covered me for cheap pressure washer or not. It's a crap company but I had to add another £100 to use a petrol one and it just covers injury not damage and not the £5,000,000. Just £1,000,000. I only used the petrol one this time and cheapo electric one two times before.

Has anyone been sued for pressure washing block paving before?
Why did I have to pay so much to use a petrol one? What's so dangerous about a petrol one?

This whole thing is worrying me but guy living there did ask me so it's not my fault .

Hmmm

What do you mean more sand? I re-sanded of course after pressure washing

The paving needs some minor remedial works to sort it.re-sand and compacting again.

The sand has been washed out from under the paving as these are not the drainage type.
Also ants can cause exactly the same problem.
As cana heavy load, skip lorry foot when lifting a skip etc..

No liability as far as i can see, just mention to the company that the paving is potentially a trip hazard as some blocks have become unstable.
Its not serious yet but once this happens it will deteriorate faster due to water settling.

Hope that helps

The paving needs some minor remedial works to sort it.re-sand and compacting again.

The sand has been washed out from under the paving as these are not the drainage type.
Also ants can cause exactly the same problem.
As cana heavy load, skip lorry foot when lifting a skip etc..

No liability as far as i can see, just mention to the company that the paving is potentially a trip hazard as some blocks have become unstable.
Its not serious yet but once this happens it will deteriorate faster due to water settling.

Hope that helps

Thxs. I was kind of worried over my public liability cover. The one time I used a petrol pressure washer I was only covered for injury not damage. Think was covered for damage with small electric one. Last year and year before.

I guess over time it would be hard to prove the petrol was used on the block paving anyway as memories fade.. I could say was used on concrete slabs next to them anyhow to justify hiring costs in invoice

I will advise them not to use a lorry on there as well.

Thxs. I was kind of worried over my public liability cover. The one time I used a petrol pressure washer I was only covered for injury not damage. Think was covered for damage with small electric one. Last year and year before.

I guess over time it would be hard to prove the petrol was used on the block paving anyway as memories fade.. I could say was used on concrete slabs next to them anyhow to justify hiring costs in invoice

I will advise them not to use a lorry on there as well.

I should think that's a properly constructed paved area.
80 mm paving on a substantial base.

Its normal to get depressed areas from worms ants water, and subsidence in the sub soil.
Your just doing maintenance, dont worry, it's a cost for the company that all companies know they will have to maintain.

Trip hazard and wear and tear, they will need to spend a few hundred or a grand or 2 in time having the paving repaired or larger areas re-laid to a acceptable standard.

Sponsored Links
Back