possible purlin support removal??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone, I have recently started to create a loft space in my semi detached bungalow, I have researched building regulations regarding floors to which I am following, however I have two 3x2 supports underneath a purlin on the hipped side of my roof which are sat on a supporting wall underneath, is there any information I could be given in how to relocate these timbers elsewhere to gain maximum space and keep the support required or how to strengthen ridge beam or hip timbers. Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Purlins are structural elements in a roof so you'll need the services of a structural engineer to calculate the loads on any position you choose for your replacement. Also for the new sizes.This may also be notifiable work so the Building Control Officer may need to be kept in the loop as well

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back