Possible relaxation of MOT testing frequencies.

I suppose people could fall into two camps here. Those that are competent and have the equipment to maintain their own vehicles and those that can't?

..and the third camp - those who just don't care about the roadworthiness of their vehicles, so they just drive it ignoring the defects, until an MOT points them out.

Sponsored Links
I think it's a cynical way to rid the world of "polluting" vehicles faster in the ridiculous push for EV dominance.

The average Joe with no interest in their car will let it fall apart over 2 yrs, goes for it's MOT, gets a two page fail sheet that they can't afford so they lease a leccy thing instead.

Its the norm in France, though around 35% of French vehicles fail their FIRST mot.

I think it's a cynical way to rid the world of "polluting" vehicles faster in the ridiculous push for EV dominance.

The average Joe with no interest in their car will let it fall apart over 2 yrs, goes for it's MOT, gets a two page fail sheet that they can't afford so they lease a leccy thing instead.
What would stop them leasing a petrol or diesel thing instead?

Sponsored Links
Nothing, but they'll be banned soon enough anyway thanks to our politicians.
So.... 8 years to ban pure ICE, and 13 before they stop us buying new hybrids....

...then there are all the second hand ICE ones...

Will many of us live long enough to care?!

I suspect market forces will do the job quicker than any government "plot". A lot of people who wouldn't have an EV, no sir, not ever, will (I think) get over their objections pretty quickly when diesel is £20 a gallon!

So.... 8 years to ban pure ICE, and 13 before they stop us buying new hybrids....

I suspect market forces will do the job quicker than any government "plot". A lot of people who wouldn't have an EV, no sir, not ever, will (I think) get over their objections pretty quickly when diesel is £20 a gallon!
They might if EV's are even close to being practical by then. Maybe they will, who knows. Market forces are just another unfair way to move people onto expensive EV (although EU meddling into safety doesn't help prices either), life's not fair though, particularly not here.

Diesel is likely to stay cheaper than petrol for a while longer anyway for obvious reasons. That's a shame as my four run on petrol.

They might if EV's are even close to being practical by then. Maybe they will, who knows. Market forces are just another unfair way to move people onto expensive EV (although EU meddling into safety doesn't help prices either), life's not fair though, particularly not here.

Diesel is likely to stay cheaper than petrol for a while longer anyway for obvious reasons. That's a shame as my four run on petrol.
What is it you actually want, then? Ac conventional ICE car that's as simple as a Series 3 Landrover to work on, as economical as an EV, an unlimited supply of petrol or diesel, and some fairies to clean up the pollution after you?

Don't forget that home electricity & public charging point prices are on the rise, so a 'cheap-to-run' EV may not always be the case, plus does anyone really believe that leccy cars will continue to be rated zero for VED when the numbers of them rise to a significant proportion of new car sales?
Back in 2017 new cars with emission levels of less than 100 gpk started to be liable for VED whereas prior to that April they had been free.

Make no mistake about it, the Gov. will have it's pound of flesh, one way or another :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Don't forget that home electricity & public charging point prices are on the rise, so a 'cheap-to-run' EV may not always be the case, plus does anyone really believe that leccy cars will continue to be rated zero for VED when the numbers of them rise to a significant proportion of new car sales?
Back in 2017 new cars with emission levels of less than 100 gpk started to be liable for VED whereas prior to that April they had been free.

Make no mistake about it, the Gov. will have it's pound of flesh, one way or another :rolleyes:
Of course it will! And smart meters are likely to be the key. However, we just have to play the cards we're dealt as best we can. Currently, EVs are more expensive to buy and cheaper to run. As manufacturing volumes go up, the price is likely to come down, so they might become cheaper to buy and more expensive to run.

But we need to remember that the government has signed internationally binding treaties when it comes to climate change. It hasn't signed anything when it comes to keeping the price of fossil fuel down for you and me, so whilst you're anticipating that a large shift by the public to EVs might trigger a change in taxation policy to start taxing EVs, you might find it goes completely the opposite way, and to encourage the last stragglers to make the shift, the government INCREASES fossil fuel duty instead! It's too hard to say which way it will go, IMO.

Of course it will! And smart meters are likely to be the key. However, we just have to play the cards we're dealt as best we can. Currently, EVs are more expensive to buy and cheaper to run. As manufacturing volumes go up, the price is likely to come down, so they might become cheaper to buy and more expensive to run.

But we need to remember that the government has signed internationally binding treaties when it comes to climate change. It hasn't signed anything when it comes to keeping the price of fossil fuel down for you and me, so whilst you're anticipating that a large shift by the public to EVs might trigger a change in taxation policy to start taxing EVs, you might find it goes completely the opposite way, and to encourage the last stragglers to make the shift, the government INCREASES fossil fuel duty instead! It's too hard to say which way it will go, IMO.
That's a good interpretation of the situation, but should the latter scenario play out, with fossil-fuel burning drivers forced into EV ownership by escalating taxes, the Gov. will be forced to impose VED or jack up electricity prices to recover the billions in lost revenue from both VED & fossil fuel duty.
Either way we're shafted :rolleyes:

That's a good interpretation of the situation, but should the latter scenario play out, with fossil-fuel burning drivers forced into EV ownership by escalating taxes, the Gov. will be forced to impose VED or jack up electricity prices to recover the billions in lost revenue from both VED & fossil fuel duty.
Either way we're shafted :rolleyes:
Yes, I think that's inevitable. However, I'm not 60 yet and I don't know that I'll even still be driving by the time the last few ICE vehicles dry up. I suspect I might not care! This is going to take a good while. My hope, is that if enough people "do the decent thing" where climate change is concerned, we will still be able to use our "classic" cars sparingly - much like the handful of preserved steam trains aren't a big environmental problem, as long as electric ones do the bulk of the "everyday" transport. Smart meters will, I'm sure, be able to "tax" electricity used for charging EVs so that the overall revenue to the exchequer remains the same. Or indeed, it's looking like tyre and brake particulates are going to be the next big thing, environmentally, so perhaps they'll just whack a huge tax on tyres instead? It's anyone's guess, really!

Sponsored Links
Back