Possible relaxation of MOT testing frequencies.

Scrap o_O
Surely there must be a market for them with buyers living in areas outside these controlled zones.
I've got 2 classics with a combined age of 58 years, but am fortunate enough to live well outside any such restricted areas.
Yes, there's a market.
A 23 year old passat in mint condition goes for £300/500.
A 15 year old A6 paid £60k new can fetch even £4000.
To me that's the same as scrapping them.
Can you buy a ulez A6 300bhp for £4k?
Probably you get 1 battery with that.
What about the £300 from the passat?
Should I get a prius badge?

Sponsored Links
Yes, there's a market.
A 23 year old passat in mint condition goes for £300/500.
A 15 year old A6 paid £60k new can fetch even £4000.
To me that's the same as scrapping them.

But that's what it's like today. Forget EVs and ULEZ, that's just the sort of depreciation you get with those cars.

Can you buy a ulez A6 300bhp for £4k?
Probably you get 1 battery with that.
What about the £300 from the passat?
Should I get a prius badge?
When today's EVs are 20 years old, I reckon they'll be quite cheap too though.

But that's what it's like today. Forget EVs and ULEZ, that's just the sort of depreciation you get with those cars.

When today's EVs are 20 years old, I reckon they'll be quite cheap too though.
Yes, but a 20 year old electric box is definitely a scrap only capable of doing 10 miles with full charge.
I clock 400 miles to full tank regardless of age in any decent ice vehicle.

Yes, but a 20 year old electric box is definitely a scrap only capable of doing 10 miles with full charge.
I clock 400 miles to full tank regardless of age in any decent ice vehicle.

We don't actually know that yet. They haven't been around 20 years. My belief, is that cost-effective solutions will emerge. For all we know, your 300 horse A6 will cost you £300 to fill up, 20 years from now!

Sponsored Links
I filled up our 14 year old diesel Golf today. The dash tells me I had 605 miles to go before it will be empty. How long would it take me to go 605 miles in a 14 year old electric car?

We don't actually know that yet. They haven't been around 20 years. My belief, is that cost-effective solutions will emerge. For all we know, your 300 horse A6 will cost you £300 to fill up, 20 years from now!
I don't care how much it costs.
It gives me pleasure driving it, it's a nice place to be.
Anyone who has sat on the A6/A8 Velona leather knows what I'm talking about.
When I occasionally take a taxi, my back hurts after 3 miles in these poorly made cheap and nasty new electric boxes.

I filled up our 14 year old diesel Golf today. The dash tells me I had 605 miles to go before it will be empty. How long would it take me to go 605 miles in a 14 year old electric car?
About 6 days charging

Fair enough. If you do a lot of 600 mile non-stop trips, then yeah, maybe an EV isn't for you!

I don't care how much it costs.
It gives me pleasure driving it, it's a nice place to be.
Anyone who has sat on the A6/A8 Velona leather knows what I'm talking about.
When I occasionally take a taxi, my back hurts after 3 miles in these poorly made cheap and nasty new electric boxes.

Ah... a fortunate (and wealthy!) man indeed, to be in a position not to care about fuel costs! I'm puzzled though. In post#22, your concern seemed to be mainly for the poor...?;)

And yes, my gaffer had an S8 a few years ago, so I know quite well, what they feel like. His son has a Taycan Turbo S, so I know what that feels like too...:evil: I have to say that "cheap" and "nasty" wouldn't be the first two adjectives that spring to mind...:whistle: I wasn't aware that the seats in all EVs were specially designed to give you back ache, but I guess it could be a cunning ploy to encourage people to get out of the and take a break while they put them on charge.:rolleyes:

However, the way I see it is this: I'm very fond of my old Alfa. Being a petrolhead brought up largely on a diet of Wheeler era TVRs, I like a nice "vroom vroom" petrol powered ICE car as much as the next guy. And it is precisely because I want to still be able to drive the Alfa occasionally, in the future, that I'm willing to make a few sacrifices now. First of all, by downsizing ICE cars and then eventually, when I can afford one, switching to an EV for the bulk of the everyday mileage. That day is getting quite close, I think. By doing so, I hope to "do my bit" for the planet (and my fellow air breathers), in the hope that future legislation won't have to completely prohibit all use of ICE vehicles.

On the other hand, I could dig my heels in, stick my bottom lip out and do stuff-all, and wait for (what I suspect will be) a complete ban. If that day comes, I suspect most of the people who "wouldn't have an EV over their dead bodies - no sir", will actually overcome their disgust quite quickly, after a few months either walking or on public transport...

Ah... a fortunate (and wealthy!) man indeed, to be in a position not to care about fuel costs! I'm puzzled though. In post#22, your concern seemed to be mainly for the poor...?;)

And yes, my gaffer had an S8 a few years ago, so I know quite well, what they feel like. His son has a Taycan Turbo S, so I know what that feels like too...:evil: I have to say that "cheap" and "nasty" wouldn't be the first two adjectives that spring to mind...:whistle: I wasn't aware that the seats in all EVs were specially designed to give you back ache, but I guess it could be a cunning ploy to encourage people to get out of the and take a break while they put them on charge.:rolleyes:

However, the way I see it is this: I'm very fond of my old Alfa. Being a petrolhead brought up largely on a diet of Wheeler era TVRs, I like a nice "vroom vroom" petrol powered ICE car as much as the next guy. And it is precisely because I want to still be able to drive the Alfa occasionally, in the future, that I'm willing to make a few sacrifices now. First of all, by downsizing ICE cars and then eventually, when I can afford one, switching to an EV for the bulk of the everyday mileage. That day is getting quite close, I think. By doing so, I hope to "do my bit" for the planet (and my fellow air breathers), in the hope that future legislation won't have to completely prohibit all use of ICE vehicles.

On the other hand, I could dig my heels in, stick my bottom lip out and do stuff-all, and wait for (what I suspect will be) a complete ban. If that day comes, I suspect most of the people who "wouldn't have an EV over their dead bodies - no sir", will actually overcome their disgust quite quickly, after a few months either walking or on public transport...
First thing first: I'm not wealthy but I live and always lived within my means.
I have no expensive habits and my car is the only "extravagance" I concede to myself.
Excuse me if I don't smoke, drink, bet, go on holiday 5 times a year or eat out every day.
Secondly, if you think that driving an EV is good for the environment, think again.
Lithium and cobalt are mined by slaves.
Your fellow human beings being detained against their will and made to handle these 2 dangerous materials bare handed.
Also, don't look at the emission figures at the exhaust pipe.
Look at the overall carbon footprint of your beloved EV.
They surely burn more in terms of environmental waste than ice vehicles kept on the road for 2 decades.
In the meantime i've enjoyed my cars, some "green" prophet has changed 5 or 6 EV.
How do you think they manufactur these electric boxes?
By hand in a shed using recycled material?
No, they're produced in factories, spitting gases in the atmosphere.
Finally, your effort counts nothing because china, india, the US and South American countries don't give a damn about pollution.
The planet is a living organism and to reduce pollution we should reduce it globally, not only on our little island.
Getting rid of unnecessary plastic would be a much better step for the planet.

I've always fancied a nice low mileage Passat B5.5 TDI 130 Estate but they still go for thousands, I think it's a reputational thing like the Hilux.

Might have to be one of those Chinese electric MG estates that look just like a B6 instead.

Screenshot_20220429-090808.png

First thing first: I'm not wealthy but I live and always lived within my means.
I have no expensive habits and my car is the only "extravagance" I concede to myself.
Excuse me if I don't smoke, drink, bet, go on holiday 5 times a year or eat out every day.
I don't especially care what your personal circumstances are, but in one post you're talking about people who can't afford an electric vehicle, and then you go on to your real reason - which is simply that you like your old ICE cars. Fine. I like my old Alfa. But let's be honest about this, eh?.
Secondly, if you think that driving an EV is good for the environment, think again.
Lithium and cobalt are mined by slaves.
Your fellow human beings being detained against their will and made to handle these 2 dangerous materials bare handed.
Yes they are. Fortunately, nothing like that happens in the oil industry, does it? It's not like oil is hazardous and it's not like there aren't any child / slave labourers working in oil fields in Angola or Nigeria, is there? And everyone in the Latin American oil-producing countries and the Middle East, is paid fairly and treated well... right...? (Oh, and since you mention cobalt - you think there's none in an ICE vehicle? Think again. Cobalt steel is increasingly being used in some of the higher-stressed areas.
Also, don't look at the emission figures at the exhaust pipe.
Look at the overall carbon footprint of your beloved EV.
Who said anything about carbon? I'm talking about air quality. You do realise they're different things, don't you? However, since you bring it up, carbon footprint is a trope beloved of the anti-EV brigade. Like all good tropes, there is some truth in it. Like-for-like, the manufacturing CO2 emissions of an EV are greater than those of an ICE vehicle of similar size and performance. However, the in-use CO2 emissions are of course, a lot lower. Even in countries that use a lot of coal to generate their electricity, they're lower. In Western Europe, they're much lower. The last credible study I saw, suggested that the break-even point was about 50,000 miles. After that, the total CO2 footprint of the EV just gets lower.
They surely burn more in terms of environmental waste than ice vehicles kept on the road for 2 decades.
As mentioned above, that's very unlikely to be the case. What's more, in 20 years time, it's likely that the National Grid figures for CO2 per kWh generated, will be FAR lower than today. Unlike an ICE vehicle, whose carbon emissions tend to go up a bit as they age, an EV's carbon emissions will go DOWN as the carbon emissions used to generate the electricity fall.
In the meantime i've enjoyed my cars, some "green" prophet has changed 5 or 6 EV.
Aye... that'll be right...;) Like the previous owner of my 1980s Alfa sold it to buy an EV, right? No he didn't. He bought a newer ICE car.
How do you think they manufactur these electric boxes?
By hand in a shed using recycled material?
No, they're produced in factories, spitting gases in the atmosphere.
...unlike your Audi and Passat, which, of course, were built lovingly by hand, using an ethically-employed, fairtrade, gender-diverse workforce in a mud hut somewhere?:ROFLMAO:
Finally, your effort counts nothing because china, india, the US and South American countries don't give a damn about pollution.
The planet is a living organism and to reduce pollution we should reduce it globally, not only on our little island.
Ah... that one...:rolleyes: I suppose it's a bit like saying the Americans have fair higher rates of gun crime, so why should we bother trying to reduce ours? Or the Latin Americans have far higher drug problems, so why should we bother trying to tackle ours? There are a couple of other points associated with this too. Firstly, as the first nation in the world to industrialise we've had something of a head start on these other countries when it comes to CO2 emissions. We've been making them a lot longer than they have. Secondly, there is a wonderful hypocrisy in outsourcing most of our manufacturing to places like China and then sitting back and complimenting ourselves on what a wonderful job we're doing on CO2 emissions! You're right. It IS a global problem, and shifting a big chunk of our CO2 to some sweatshop on the other side of the world really doesn't (or shouldn't!) fool anyone! And finally, I get sick of hearing British people whining about how we used to lead the world in this, that, or the other industry, but now the Germans / Japanese / Chinese / (insert name of country you wish to cry about) have overtaken us. Carbon neutrality is the next big challenge. We are a staggeringly inventive race that gave the world railways and so many other technological "firsts". Now we have a choice here; we could step up to the plate, bite the bullet, make the necessary investments and become world leaders in low-carbon power generation and consumption technologies...

...or, we could sit back, saying it's some other country's job, because they're bigger than us and they make more CO2 anyway, and then cry into our beer when we end up buying that same technology from China, India, or whoever ends up developing it before we do...
Getting rid of unnecessary plastic would be a much better step for the planet.
Doing both would be better still....

Last edited:
I've always fancied a nice low mileage Passat B5.5 TDI 130 Estate but they still go for thousands, I think it's a reputational thing like the Hilux.

Might have to be one of those Chinese electric MG estates that look just like a B6 instead.

View attachment 268372
All second hand car prices are nuts at present. The microchip shortage is crippling car manufacturers all over the world, so that's artificially inflating the price of good second hand ones. Maybe Johnny2007 can find you one for a few hundred quid...

Of course with ref. to Johnny's post it's also possible that both scenarios are the case. I openly confess to enjoying my 2 classics, admittedly with scant regard for the environment, but there's no way I could afford to own a new/low years EV without entering into a finance agreement which I'm not prepared to commit to.

And yet, we do have a huge air quality problem in big towns and cities. We're killing about 10 times more people each year, simply by driving our cars, than we are by running them over or crashing into them. What's the answer?
Scrapping perfectly good cars is certainly not the answer (and adds massively to global warming) especially given the small amount of older cars on the road and the fact that the vehicles tyres emit significantly more particulates than the exhaust. Most of the reports pertaining to deaths caused by vehicle emissions use data sets that are years or even decades out of date!
https://www.tiretechnologyinternati...-1000-times-worse-than-exhaust-emissions.html

Sponsored Links
Back