Possible to have hot water only from combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new CH and DHW system installed soon which will involve the fitting of a WB 30CDi boiler. However, at some point in the next few weeks I will have to decorate my property and the radiators will have to be taken off.

They may have to stay removed for several weeks as the property is decorated. During this time I will need hot water but no heat from the radiators.

Is it possible to operate a WB 30CDi with no CH but only for DHW for a few weeks?

Sponsored Links
Make sure you have turned off the Central heating electrically (timeswitch or Room stat whichever you have) and turn off the heating flow & return valves under the boiler. leave the gas and the cold water inlet open to enable on demand hot water ;)

Have done this before a few times when doing installs just to get the customer some domestic hot water. If you experience any "kettling" sounds then if your boilers system bypass (inside boiler) can be manually set I would open it fully, otherwise make a temporary loop in copper between the flow and return.

Sponsored Links
LOL. One of the decorators quoted 6 weeks with 3 decorators on site full time to decorate my house!

Anyway, I was wondering if the 'holiday' setting would be sufficient to enable HW only from a WB 30CDi?

From the user manual, the 'holiday' button does this:

HOLYDAY SETTING
Activating holiday mode:

> Press the holiday button until it lights up.
Central heating is switched off; the frost
protection remains active.

Re-establishing normal operating mode:

> Press the holiday button until it goes off.
The appliance goes into normal operating
mode.

LOL. One of the decorators quoted 6 weeks with 3 decorators on site full time to decorate my house!
That would equate to 90 man-days, which leaves three options.
1. You have a 16 bedroomed mansion
2. They have one-hour working days.
3. The company exists of ex-council staff that each have a master's degree in shovel-leaning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back