Possible to replace the exchange heater of a Baxi SOLO 2?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For many months my boiler has been making lots of howling and flute noises. The last two days this increased and now there is banging and knocking and kettling. I trust this is caused by the 25 year old exchange heater. This is not a job for me so called an engineer who will be coming tomorrow.

I would like to hear your opinion. Is it better changing the exchange heater or flushing it with chemicals? From our conversation, always if I'm right with my diagnosis, he does not recommend changing it because it will lead to more future trouble, such as leaks.

Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Although it's a tank of a boiler well made, 25 years is pushing it, I wouldn't be flushing it. Add silencer. But and it is a but, think about changing it completely.

I think ear plugs is what I need. I do have a feeling I may have to change it soon but it's been low maintenance and any thing that went wrong so far I found it easy to replace.

Sponsored Links
I think ear plugs is what I need. I do have a feeling I may have to change it soon but it's been low maintenance and any thing that went wrong so far I found it easy to replace.

Fair comment. I love to see the old boilers, I repair them and new. Simple designs. However, there comes a point. Do you drive a 25 year old car? Personally I'd tell you to have new but with a heavy heart to see it go.

It is actually 20 years old thinking about it, still old. But most parts are not that old. The only thing that looks aged is the exchange heater. Fan changed regularly, and the pcb only a month ago.

Like I said, would you drive a 20-25 year old car? If you do, have a think about how efficient it is. Do you have any other appliance that is well needed in your home at that age? Why do you keep it?

it may not be the heat ex it could be restricted on or around the cold feed /expansion area or a slow pump,silencer may help with the noise

Hmmm, the loud banging noise is heard coming from behind the boiler where the pipes are actually. At one point it sounded like metal clanking, like someone scraping a spanner across a u-shaped metal rod then hitting the end at quick successions. It sounds very scary! I can live with the howling from within the boiler.

However, rightly so I think it's time to get a new one which is more efficient and hopefully quiet.

try turning the pump down and flush with chemicals then time to get your wallet out :)

I agree , solos have a tendency to bang like fook when circulation issue ,,, make sure pump is ok cuz I bet that's the prob

Thank you guys, the engineer came this morning. He told me that the boiler still looks in a very good condition and works beautiful. Problem is the pump and needing a flush as most of you mentioned. He also recommended to change the boiler eventually but does not consider it as an imminent job.

However, I did some research and found out that a new boiler would probably save me around 30% on bills, therefore it makes sense to change it because in a matter of 3 to 4 years I'll get the money back and continue to save. Time to get rid of my old banger ☺.

Hopefully the banging should calm down soon.

I have to say I would not be so keen to rush into a new boiler.

Can you afford £15 to buy some Sentinel X400 cleanser which you can pour into the F&E tank.

Over four weeks it will take up dirt into suspension and might result in the boiler and system getting quieter. You might then decide to keep it for the moment.

But much of the dirt in the boiler could be lime related and that needs a different chemical to treat.

Most people just put up with a little noise from the boiler.

But an early check should be the temperature differential between boiler flow and return pipes. Nominally 11 C on your model.

If you can measure that it would enable us to give you further targeted advice.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back