Post disaster drying times water in wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I know this is a bit of a 'how long is a bit of string' question, but any uplifting words will be at least morale boosting.
The (insert colourful words here) upstairs toilet leaked again. Same problem of the pipe between the cistern and the bowl. The guy who installed the toilet years ago did a botched job, and cut the pipe an iota too short. We didn't realise what had happened until he'd long gone, so had to fix ourselves. The pipe was a weird size/shape and would cost £40 for a new one, which we couldn't afford! So, with extreme precision and a lot of sealant I got it sound. However, sigh, it must have worked it's way loose/sealant failed. Its been pouring JUST enough water to not be noticeable, but JUST enough to be causing water damage.
Because we're all at home all day now said toilet is finding itself more occupied - the kitchen ceiling now has the paint peeling and a water mark, and smells damp. After some thorough investigation we found the culprit and now we've just got towels stuffed round the pipe for now - much cheaper to replace than floorboards.
Because everything is locked down I can't just nip down to B&Q and get what I need, and I know a fair few of the plumbers will be older folks who will be self-isolating.
I kind of wish I'd spend that £40 all those years ago - 2020 hindsight - both true and a VERY bad pun. Right now I just want a completely new system because I'm sick of trying to repair this one. I can't really afford any of this.
Anyhoo, enough of me therapy ranting.....how long do you think it will be for my poor bathroom floorboards and kitchen ceiling to recover? I was vaguely thinking of drilling a hole in the ceiling to get air directly in past the plaster and paint - would this be a stupid idea?
Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Depends on how bad the water damage is really. At its worst, it could start to crumble as it dries out. It sounds like it really wants the WC taking out and the floorboards lifting to let it dry out. Once it's dry you can see what the extent of the damage is and assess how best to repair it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back