Postcrete or Cement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The reason i ask is that i need to put 19 posts in, and postcrete is £3.62 a bag with a total of £68.78. Now i now Cement is cheaper than thia but don't know how much to order or what sand would be the best.

Any one can offer any advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hightowermark said:
Now i now Cement is cheaper than.....
Thanks

Yes but you need to mix it with ballast to make concrete ;)

Ballast will probably cost £22-£28 per cu m. Plus a hlaf dozen or so bags of cement at say £2.50ea, plus rapid setting agent.

Ordinary mortar mix will not be strong or heavy enough for fixing posts.

Postcrete is basicaly rapid setting concrete.

the blue circle postcrete in wickes is only a couple of quid a bag, and usually enough for two holes. I have to say of all the ones i have used it is by far the best and cheapest, sets quickly and goes rock hard.

Yea, gotta say, I used Postcrete for the first time the other day to over-engineer a post in the ground for a rotary airer. Didn't want to use it on anything more than that first time round.

That stuff is great - really good. So worth the little bit extra you'll pay. No mixing, left over sand, no mess.

Dig your hole.
Put the post in.
Drop the bag on the side of the hole.
Cut a slit along the bottom of the bag.
Pour water.
Make Tea.

Sponsored Links
I used post crete and found that i needed at least one bag per hole because my holes were quite large after excavating many mang boulders from beneath the ground.

I therefore favoured mixing my own concrete, made with rapid setting cement, which seemed to work much better for me.

thatswhy i use a one man petrol post auger, nice neat small hole, exactly where i want it, nice and quick, no faffing about with supporting the posts in an oversize hole.....oh and a bag or two of postcrete is ample for the hole! :D

post locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back