Posts and fence same day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finding differing advice online so just thought I'd double check with people on here.

I've got a pro coming to remove an existing fence and erect a new one 1m further forward. It's approx a 10m run with gates. The fence is closeboard with arris rails and wooden posts set in concrete. He's also erecting a custom sized shed he's been building for me. The chap said it would all be done in a day but I'm wondering if that is optimistic.

My main concern is people are telling me that you need to allow the concrete that the posts sit in to set before installing rails and boards as it will all start moving before it's set and end up crooked.

Can anyone tell me from actual experience if this is the case?

Cheers all in advance.

Sponsored Links
My main concern is people are telling me that you need to allow the concrete that the posts sit in to set before installing rails and boards as it will all start moving before it's set and end up crooked.

Cheers all in advance.

Not in my experience. I helped a professional to install 20 metres of similar fencing to yours, 2 metres tall, and we did it in a morning. Dug a hole, fixed post with rubble and concrete, fixed the panel, moved on to the next, and so on along the fence. It was straight as a die when we finished, and remains so two years later. I couldn't have done it half as well by myself, which is why I got him in. Gates are no worry because you leave them closed and propped up for a day or so before letting them hang off the gateposts.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
I'm having a close boarded fence put up by professionals at the moment. Talking to the guys earlier in the week, they said that for a fence made using posts and fence panels they do the whole job as they go along - so the fence panels are put in and the next post can be butted up hard against it. It's difficult to get the measurements spot on otherwise. But with a close boarded fence using arris rails they put up the posts and rails one day and fix the boarding the next. In either case they use a VERY dry concrete mix which they then ram hard down into the post holes around the post. In either case if there's very windy weather forecast then best to try and postpone things a day or so.
Hope this helps.

I'm finding differing advice online so just thought I'd double check with people on here.

I've got a pro coming to remove an existing fence and erect a new one 1m further forward. It's approx a 10m run with gates. The fence is closeboard with arris rails and wooden posts set in concrete. He's also erecting a custom sized shed he's been building for me. The chap said it would all be done in a day but I'm wondering if that is optimistic.

Cheers all in advance.

If he is using postcrete then yes but if he is using concrete then no and especially no this time of year as concrete sets slower when its cold.

A 10m run is certainly doable in a day especially if you have no old plugs of concrete from a old fence to get out

If he is using postcrete then yes but if he is using concrete then no and especially no this time of year as concrete sets slower when its cold.

You don't need to use postcrete, just a reasonably stiff mix, some rubble, and tamp it down firmly.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back