Potential Damp in Subfloor - Should I Be Concerned?

Your first image won't open. Post a picture under the unit.

I don't think it is condensation.

Andy

Sponsored Links
The link has been corrected.. It should be okay now

You'd like a pic from Under the base unit ie the plinth area?

Your pipe work looks quite new, did you replace it or was it done before you moved in? as it might be an old leak.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Wasing machine on one side and a condensate pipe on the other side

Currently the washing machine has been removed to repair floor.. It's also brand new and never been used..

Is there an alternative material i can use as opposed to chipboard to replace the piece i butchered out?

if there is a risk of future damp, seal the edges of the ply, after trimming, with oil-based paint or varnish. The edges are more important than the top (but do that as well if you have time) I left my off-cuts of WBP in the garden, and heavy rain caused the veneers to lift and start delaminating.

18mm WBP ply.

Andy
Just seen the price of ply in comparison to chipboard.. And i think that i will sticking with chipboard

@JohnD Is it worthwhile sealing the tongue and groove and painting the underside with some oil based paint to protect it?

Also what insulation would be best to fill in those minor gaps by the polystyrene?

in the event of a leak, water is liable to get into the joints. But Weetabix, or chipboard as it is often known, is such an awful material that it will crumble at the sight of water.

Kitchens often contain water.

You can use expanding foam for gaps in polystyrene. This will also stick it into place. If you hope to remove it in future, you can instead stuff mineral wool insulation into gaps.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back