Potential problems from cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm going to re-model my kitchen and build an extension, which will involve splitting the existing kitchen into two rooms and building a new downstairs cloakroom. Where I want to make the split is in the middle of an existing large window in the kitchen. I'll want to replace this with two smaller windows, one in the cloakroom and one in the new kitchen, either side of a new internal stud wall.

The potential problem arises with regard to the external brickwork around the window. There is a soldier course across the top, which is installed as an arch over the window. So I'll need to replace that with two new arches over the two new windows. However, the house has polystyrene bead cavity wall insulation, so I am expecting it to all fall out when I start removing the existing soldier course.

Has anyone any bright ideas for avoiding this scenario? I did consider leaving the existing soldier course in and using some sort of timber in-fill to make the division between the two windows - but rather suspect this would end up looking a bit rubbish (and may not get planning consent anyway).

Any helpful suggestions appreciated!

Thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back