potterton 80e "no power light"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Have a Potterton 80e Combi gas boiler with no power light showing,
I have put a multimeter to the blue and brown wires that come into the main PCB and am getting 240v, the power seems to be going no further.
It's no problem for me to buy a new PCB and fit it but I need to be sure it will fix the problem. An engineer replaced this board last November, and said that if it went again that we should replace he whole boiler.
The boiler is about 10 years old.

Any input welcome.

Thanks in advance

Donald

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the pcb protection fuse?

I think on that model its under the cover to the left of the pcb.

Be aware if it is blown something has caused it to blow.

Possible causes: fan, pump, water entering one of the flow switches.

Fix cause first then remedy.

HTH Dave

If it is the pcb are you going to replace the boiler ?

Before the power light went out, the hot water was not so hot and some of the radiators were getting warm when the heating was off and the hot water was running, probably the 3way valve scaled up?, Is changing this too involved for an amateur? 2 professionals that I have talked to recommended changing the boiler, 1 of them I know and trust and has no interest in doing the job.
Is it better to get a new more efficient one, or keep repairing this 10yr old one?.

Sponsored Links
My veiw is: if it was a car giving sooo much trouble you would not put up with it.I mean Ten years even at a cost of £1000 that only equates to £100 a year,how much value do you want,even if you get it repaired it will fail in the winter months anyway. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back