Potterton Boiler Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just realised my boiler isn’t firing up. The lights show the status as “Ext. Call for Heat” whatever that means. But nothing is happening (thermostat set to max).
I’ve tried numerous resets but still no joy.

The boiler is a Potterton Suprima 60 L (Don’t laugh, I know all about the PCB problems – but that usually shows itself with a flashing red light.) The boiler was working fine this morning but just this afternoon it seems to have failed.

The only other thing I should add is that I have had 2 rads off the wall for about 1 week as I have been decorating. Don’t know if that could be related to the problem? But until now heating and hot water has been fine.

Can anyone offer any advice or is it a call to an engineer tomorrow?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sometimes these were fitted with a seperate flow switch on the pipe work just outside of the boiler casing, especially if you have a newish system that consists of plastic piping.

Could be that you now have a airlock in the boiler/system and this switch, if you have one, is not making.

gas4you.
All I've got is 2 x 22mm copper pipes at the top, one of which has a drain off valve on it and a 15 mm copper pipe at the bottom.

If it is an airlock how would I know? Or resolve?

Does the fan spin?

Have you checked the thermistors?
Never assume the PCB is good with these, and remember to test the gas valve before changing the board.

Sponsored Links
Dan_Robinson

I've not taken anything apart but the boiler is completely silent so I assume the fan isnt spinning.

Not sure what thermistors are or how to check.

Hmmmm now out of the blue, on it's own, it's just fired up.

Does that point to any clues for anyone?

Do you think the fact that 2 rads are not connected could be causing poor circulation and or an air lock?

Basically, trying to decide if I should connect the rads before calling an engineer, just to rule that out.

Nearly finished decorating so could have the rads back on the walls by tomorrow night if you think I should do this before calling someone out.

I also think I would be checking all external controls/zone valves for faults before blaming the boiler, even though they have a notorious reputation.

It is all to easy to be blinded by a bad reputation and miss checking the basics first.

Just for the record, in case anyone has a similar problem.

It was the PCB.

Incidently, got it fixed by Potterton: £299 - guaranteed next day fix, inc all parts and labour. Then boiler, controls, valves, pump etc all covered for 1 year (parts and labour). Seeing as a local engineer had quoted me £260 to just change the PCB I was pleased with the deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back