Potterton CH problem!! Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have a potterton boiler and CH system. We had a problem back in November last year where the Myson power extra valve was over-riding the controls and giving us max temperature water, even with the controls off and the front room thermostat set to 5 degrees. The valve was replaced and we thought all was ok, the heating was going off as it should with the timer and the thermostat controlled the temperature ok.
But, we just recieved a £144 electricity bill, normally £50-70 ish, and a £180 gas bill, 3 x as much as the same period last year. The only thing I can point to is this new Myson power extra valve, it seems to me that the operating light is permanently on, is that right? Any other ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Regards, Cliff

Sponsored Links
have you checked your meter readings?....have the supply company underestimated and just charged you to make up the difference?

Checked the meter readings, if anything they have undercharged us!!! :eek: They (british gas) say we should be using 4 units a day, I have tested for 24 hours and we are using 12 a day :cry:

well I'm pretty well stumped unless you have a gas leak. Wheather a boiler is on timed or 24/7 the difference won't be massive as the thermostats will still control it. If it was faulty it would be roasting and banging all over the place!. Bit of a coincidence to have your gas and electric treble in cost at the same time as they are unrelated. Try taking a gas meter reading aand turning all your gas appliances off then another a couple of hours later that will show up a leak. Think it has to be something administrative though.

Sponsored Links
freind of mine had a similar problem, all they used was a back boiler, but were getting MASSIVE gas bills, transco came out to test for any leaks, but couldnt find any, but changed the meter instead.

me mate asked for the meter to be taken away and tested, (its a risk, cause if its right u pay(£95)), but they came back and said the meter had been reading 4 times the amount of gas going through..............

evening jas
ok.gif

jasonvaughan said:
freind of mine had a similar problem, all they used was a back boiler, but were getting MASSIVE gas bills, transco came out to test for any leaks, but couldnt find any, but changed the meter instead.

me mate asked for the meter to be taken away and tested, (its a risk, cause if its right u pay(£95)), but they came back and said the meter had been reading 4 times the amount of gas going through..............

may i suggest you see item 9

item 9 states that you shouldnt give prices due to labour cost variation across the country, access to job etc,

the figure i gave is set figure, which dose not vary depending if they can get the meter off (cause the tofo's do it). it is a set charge which is payed for by your gas supplyer if you want your meter testing, However if the meter is found to be ok you have to foot the bill.

i dont think i have crossed the 'rule 9' line, as it is a set charge, and is not influenced by factors such as distance travelled, job accessibility, etc

:confused:

eh up kev............

assuming your talking powermax, have the immersion heater option and is it turned off.

the same boiler will burn 2.60m³/hr.

A test for you; turn boiler on full and time how long it takes to burn 1 cubic foot of gas ( info on gas meter).

the sum = 3600 x 1040 divided by the time = btus hr divide by 3412 to convert to Kw

post your findings

A U6 is 0.071 cu/ft per revolution so count the rev as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back