potterton combi 80 no heating downstairs

Tim, that boiler works fine on DHW if the pump is failed. The boiler does not have isolating valves on the pump either.

I dont know why no one has suggested the diverter valve as thats the obvious cause of the problem to me.

This friend who suggested replacing the pump, is he going to pay for the pump which was not the problem?

Thats the problem with getting friends to do this kind of thing, they usually dont know what they are doing and it can cost more that employing a professional.

Tony

Sponsored Links
the friend who did the pump works for a plumbing merchant thats why i thought he knew what he was talking about, more fool me!!!!!
what would need doing to the diverter valve to fix the problem?

the friend who did the pump works for a plumbing merchant thats why i thought he knew what he was talking about, more fool me!!!!!
what would need doing to the diverter valve to fix the problem?

Just ot of interest why did you think a counter monkey in a merchants would know what he was talking about?

Would expect a librarian to write a best selling novel?

because the counter monkey had manged to fix a friends boiler with a similar problem so i thought he might have been able to do same for mine

Sponsored Links
because the counter monkey had manged to fix a friends boiler with a similar problem so i thought he might have been able to do same for mine

even a counter monkey has got to get lucky sometimes ;)

and unless he is properly trained he is endangering himself and those he works for

no friend of yours I would say

:)

you replace it, and if you dont know what you are doing it can be a sod of a job.

if you do know what you are doing its still a sod of a job, you just know how much of a sod it is

:)

He is a sales assistant and his wage rate would be about a half or third of a qualified plumber and a quarter of a competent boiler engineer.

For just one boiler repair which we expect to take an hour, we charge £84 which would be more than most sales assistants daily wage. But then we diagnose boiler faults correctly.

Tony

I have not seen your boiler or diagnosed the fault on site ( or been paid for that! ).

However, from what you have said I would expect the problem to be a failed wax stat or a jammed up diverter valve.

Tony

hi there im a corgi registered heating engineer and the combi 80 is one of my fav boilers i like to work on i can usually fix them in 1 visit rarelly do i get stuck on them anyway....

just been reading your thread here and going by everything thats been said i would test and check the CH thermister before you start even considering changing that diverter valve (which is a **** job) usually when those diverter valves go they will not move over into central heating mode and the boiler will crash and bang everytime you try to use the heating. if the boiler is crashing and banging and making all sorts of strange noise i would be thinking about changing the main heat exchanger or diverter valve. if the heating is not staying on hot enough to really warm the rads i would check the heating thermister is in range

i cant understand how some have come to the conclusion of it being the diverter valve as the heat is actually getting out of the boiler so there for the diverter valve is opening for central heating but im not in front of it so cant coment, however it is possible that the diverter could be slightly open and stuck halfway but i wouldnt say so ive never seen em do that before

if it was my boiler i would be checking the gas pressure to make sure its modulating and not over heating to early and also check how long exactly the boiler stays on for. if it stays on for 2 mins and the rads upstairs get hot either the thermister is fualty or the gas valve mod reg is on maximum gas and not modulating down or the TRVs are jammed up downstairs

anyway thats my thoughts on the matter good luck

I'm not going to reread 3 pages!
Can you summarise what you've done/changed pleasE? :confused:

changed pump which wasnt problem, bleed radiators. there is no airlock did have heating upstairs until yesterday now no heating at all just hot water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back