POTTERTON COMBI 8O-YES IT'S STILL GOING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for a bit of advice please.

Have noticed recently when boiler turns on the flame light only comes on for about 45 secs and then goes off for about a minute and a half and then it keeps repeating this pattern. Not sure if it has always done this or I've just noticed.

Seems to take a while until rads start getting hot. Is this meant to happen or should flame light be staying on longer thus heating rads quicker?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It should not be doing that!

But first you need to time the on and off periods and seeing what difference there is between CH and DHW.

It may be a failing/blocked pump if it happens only on CH or a sticking diverter valve or even a gas/combustion related problem ( which we dont advise on in the open forum.

There are several possible causes on your model!

There are still probably 3000-6000 of that general model still in use!

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for reply, new pump fitted a couple of days ago.

Just tried hot water and that seems to be ok i.e. flame light staying on when water running.

Unsure if boiler was having this problem before new pump.

Why was the pump replaced?
Try turning off the cold water main and see if the heating runs properly.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mick,

Pump was replaced as heating stopped working one night i.e. no flame light came on, hot water still worked. Guy who came said it was pump although in between heating not working and his visit it did start working again itself, but he replaced pump anyway. You could hear impeller whirring away.

How do you mean "cold water main"? Is this one of the pipes running into boiler(just below it) with blue coloured shut off valve on it?

Cheers.

Surely if the HW was working then its clearly not the pump on that model as the pump runs for HW :rolleyes:

No Dave, the pump is designed to run on HW thats right.

But it still gives HW if the pump is NOT running!

Tony

Thanks for replies,

Diverter valve has been mentioned a couple of times, is there any way to check this myself before I get someone in?

Cheers.

For a start, as stated above, turn off water to the property and see if the CH works.

That will eliminate some causes.

Why did whoever changed the pump not complete the diagnosis?

Tony

Ok, will turn water off and try that.

Heating engineer was sent out by my insurance company and he said it was the pump, so new one fitted.

Heating had stopped working altogether hw ok. But before his visit it had started working again. Thay changed pump anyway buy now I have the problem stated above,

If heating still works/doesn't work with water off what does that signify?

Thanks.

Ok, quick update. Have turned off main water supply and heating seems to be working. So, what does this mean?

Thanks.

It means that whenever you want to have heating on you need to turn off the water!

Have a hot night!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back