Potterton Combi Leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My combi keeps losing pressure every 4-5 days! Had a quick look for leaks on the system to no avail. Was just about to start ripping up floorboards when I had a google session and then checked a few things. Firstly checked the PRV which was dry. THen I checked the condensation drain pipe, this is dripping water even with the unit off, about one drip every sec or so. From what I can understand this indicates an internal leak?

Boiler is a Potterton Promax 28he Combi

Any help much appreciated

Borolad.

Sponsored Links
Check that the leak is not on the boiler . turn the boiler isolating valves off for a couple of days while weather is still mild

if the pressure still drops you know its on the boiler

If pressure doesnt drop but then when you open up isolating valves the pressure drops more or less straight away you know its on system

Hi Namsag,

Cheers for the advice,

Would try that but its a bit nippy up north! could try it through the day I suppose. Just cant understand why there is water dripping out of the condensation vent pipe while the boiler aint running. Just checked a few posts on a similar forum which may point to a leaking heat exchanger or expansion vessel, hope its not the heat exchanger as they are a bit pricey!! Was hoping the PRV was faulty but that has been dry all along :(

Cheers,

Borolad.

Take it that you've checked for leaks on and around the radiator valves while the system is cold?

Sponsored Links
Take it that you've checked for leaks on and around the radiator valves while the system is cold?

Yeah have checked all visible pipes, radiators, valves and bleed points, all seem ok. Not had chance to poke my head under the floorboards yet like.

Cheers,

Borolad

Sorry to say that if you have water coming out of condensate when boilers not even on then it's definately the heat exchanger! Your best bet would be to do a fixed price repair with heateam which includes all parts and a years warranty! ;)

Sorry to say that if you have water coming out of condensate when boilers not even on then it's definately the heat exchanger! Your best bet would be to do a fixed price repair with heateam which includes all parts and a years warranty! ;)

Thanks for the info, all be it bad news :( Would you recommend using that leak sealer stuff, radweld for boilers I presume, to get a bit longer out of it or just bite the bullet and get it fixed. Not sure what that stuff is like, dont want to cause more damage. Also I take it that it is not a job you can do yourself due to CORGI regs etc?

Cheers

Borolad

Quick update,

Have had the boiler running most of the night and I have just been out and checked the PRV outlet out side and it has been venting water...... the plot thickens!

Borolad.

So you where mistaken in thinking it was the condensate pipe dumping water it was actually the prv pipe.You need to empty the water out of the boiler [primary] you may aswell open the prv as it is probably fooked any way and attatch a foot pump to the schreader valve on the expantion vessel and blow all the bloody water out of it then recharge it to 1.5 bar and fit a new prv....

So you where mistaken in thinking it was the condensate pipe dumping water it was actually the prv pipe.You need to empty the water out of the boiler [primary] you may aswell open the prv as it is probably fooked any way and attatch a foot pump to the schreader valve on the expantion vessel and blow all the bloody water out of it then recharge it to 1.5 bar and fit a new prv....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back